ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇʟᴇᴠᴇɴ

Comincia dall'inizio

Edward was quiet the entire way. She was used to that silence. He wasn't as bad as Alice for sneaking up on people with that alien-like grace, but the rate at which he moved so quietly was still alarming, even to another vampire like Rosalie.

She glared slightly, as she turned on him, more from annoyance than true dislike. "Can we get on with it?"

Nodding slowly, he guided them along the pathway. He was slow enough that she could feel his words building.

"I know it won't be easy for you, but I want to ask you a favour."

You want me to be nice to the human.

It took a moment for Rosalie to realise the conversation had moved into her head. It was a common occurrence, with Edward's gifts. It served a purpose too- one other than ease- as it meant that Edward would concentrate on the conversation at the front of her mind and was more likely to ignore the lingering thoughts at the back.

"Yes. You don't have to like her if you'd rather not. But she's part of my life and that makes her part of your life too. I know that you didn't ask for this and you don't want it."

No, I don't.

"But you didn't ask my permission to bring Emmett home either."

That's different and you know it is.

Her eyes narrowed again. Emmett had been bleeding to death, body ravished by the sharp teeth of a bear he now had the strength of. Rosalie hadn't bated him in, fallen in love with him, tricked him into this life. She'd seen the face of a child she'd once known in him and refused to let him die so young. Bella wasn't dying. She had a life yet to live.

"More permanent certainly."

"What do you mean by that? Aren't you talking about permanence?" Edward did not respond. "Did you feel harmed when I brought us our brother? Did that injure you in any way?"

"Of course not," he said, proving her point. "Just give me the chance to prove that I can do the right thing. That I can choose right too."

Choose. That word rubbed her the wrong way. Rosalie had not chosen to bring Emmett home. Had he not been soaked with the blood of both human and bear, crying out painfully for help, she would have drifted past, too scared to get too close. But it had seemed the universe had called out to her, had given her the strength to carry Emmett the miles it took to reach Carlisle. She hadn't had the strength to change him herself. There was some small part of her that hadn't wanted to, for it was a curse, after all. But Carlisle had changed him in hopes of giving her the same thing that he had with Esme. But instead, she'd gained a brother. A best friend.

But Rosalie had never chosen it.

And if Edward was being truthful before, then he hadn't chosen his love for Bella and hadn't chosen to endanger her. That was not as he said now. A right choice would mean not choosing Bella at all.

Just as she hadn't chosen to speak to Violet Green that night in the garage, causing everything else to spiral afterwards.

The girl's face flashed through her thoughts and Rosalie saw the recognition mirror on Edward's face. That only made her glare darken.

"I know you understand everything that I'm going through, Rose," Edward said.

"I can't look at her," she snapped, interrupting him. "When I look at her, I can't see her as a person. I just see a waste." She closed her eyes, feeling the frustration radiating from her brother. "I'm sorry. I truly am. I don't mean to sound cruel. I just can't... I can't watch her do this."