Chapter 4

No one P.O.V.

Meanwhile, each person was hearing the same thing from the employees though they were in different rooms.

"You are probably wondering why you are here. The Council has made a specific set of rules for you and your friends. It is not difficult to follow, however the Council has handpicked your matches for the list you are receiving now because of your special positions in our society. When you pick someone, you and the other person must go inform the Council of it. If the Council decides they would not like your match or prefer you with someone else, they will change it."

Everybody received scrolls and were very nervous.

"Why don't we go to Everglen before we open the scrolls?" Linh suggested. Everyone agreed with her, so they all leaped back to Everglen.

Della rushed over to the foyer when she heard them.

"You got your scrolls?! Oh my!" She excitedly exclaimed. They all headed up to the room they were sleeping in and everyone sat on their sleeping bag.

"Ready?" Biana asked.

"3"

"2"

"1"

Everyone pulled the ribbon off their scrolls and opened them.

Sophie P.O.V.

I gasped as I looked at my list. I can't believe I have Fitz Vacker as my number one match. I started blushing a lot. He probably doesn't like me... I turned really red, and I started sweating.

Fitz P.O.V.

I opened my scroll nervously... SOPHIE FOSTER. I HAVE SOPHIE FOSTER AS MY NUMBER ONE MATCH! YES!!! I'm going to confess to her soon, I have to. Even if she doesn't like me, I need to get it off me. I can't stand being near her without telling her how I feel. I hope the feelings are mutual, though. As long as she's happy. Then I noticed Sophie was really red and she was panting. I hope she's okay.

"Are you okay, Sophie?" I asked, concerned.

Biana P.O.V.

I opened my scroll, only to see my number one match was someone I didn't even know. I continued looking through my list. I found a name I recognize: Tam Song. I don't like him... well, there was a time, but it was a short, small tiny crush, nothing serious, and it's totally gone now for someone else. Finally, I see his name. I hope he likes me. He always comforts me and is there when I need him.

17. Dexter Alvin Dizznee. 

He's my number 17! I'm really happy. I thought they wouldn't put his name on there since his parents are a bad match and all and I'm a Vacker but I guess they did! For once, the Council is doing something right. I looked over to Sophie and saw her really red, then I heard Fitz ask her if she was okay. Her eyes widened. 

"U-umm yeah... the dress is um, r-really uncomfortable. I think I'm gonna go take it off. Be right back." She quickly stuttered, not meeting him in the eye before rushing over to my room, stumbling as she tripped on the dress. She dropped her scroll in the process. I snatched it up before Fitz could get tempted to look at it. 

"I'll go help her," I offered, knowing exactly who she got and what she was thinking. I guess the Council did another thing right. Must've been Oralie. I rushed after her and headed to my room, where she left her clothes so I assumed she would be there. I found her in there, perched upon my bed staring at the floor, clearly deep in thought. I slowly approached her and sat down next to her.

"Sophie?" I asked tentatively. "Is everything okay?" I gently placed my hand on her shoulder. She slowly looked up at me, biting her lip nervously. "Does this have to do with the match list?" I questioned. She hesitated for a second, before nodding. 

"It's just... the number one person I got-" she started.

"Fitz." I interrupted, grinning. She raised her eyebrows in surprise, nodding, before continuing. 

"I-I haveacrushonhim." She quickly mumbled. I smiled and clapped my hands enthusiastically. 

"I know!" I exclaimed.

"W-what? W-was I that obvious?" She asked, clearly confused.

"Umm... yeah. But to about everyone except Fitz. He's, unfortunately for you, extremely oblivious." I explained. "Just like you, though." I added helpfully.

"Huh?" Again, she was clearly confused. 

"I think you need to trust yourself, Sophie. You're more amazing than you think. You may think people don't like you, but trust me, they love you Sophie. You're an amazing person. You've helped so many people, including me! I wouldn't be who I am today without you or your encouragement. So please let me encourage you this time. Have faith in yourself." I said, giving her just about the most obvious hint I could give her. If she didn't understand that Fitz liked her now, then I don't know what I'd do. 

"W-wait. Someone has a crush on me?" Sophie asked, still not quite grasping it. 

"YES! And not just someone, but someone who is also special to you." I told her, hoping that she would finally understand. 

"S-someone special? Like.... F-fitz?" She asked, getting quieter as she said Fitz's name. I rolled my eyes, not able to contain my frustration that these two were just so oblivious. How is it even possible?! I slowly nodded my head. 

Sophie just sat there, a smile slowly finding it's way across her face. Sorry, Fitz. I thought. I just couldn't hold it in any longer. At least one of them has to know. Sophie stood up, ready to go back to the room now. She started walking out when I said

"Wait!" She turned around.

"What is it?" She responded, her eyebrows knit together as if she was missing something. 

"You told them you would come in here to change your clothes. If you go back without changing, they'll start asking you questions." I explained. Sophie widened her eyes before rushing back towards me.

"Oh my gosh, thank you! I totally forgot!" I just laughed at what she said. 

She chuckled. "You really are my best friend, Biana. What would I do without you?" 

Word Count: 1,000

Don't forget to vote and comment! Thanks ❤

100 reads until the next chapter!