040

Lemon Whiskey 040

Reece orchestrates the plan with Manang Letty to sneak into the property. It takes them almost half an hour, but Oli needs her, and she's certainly going to be there for her best friend.

Manang was hesitant at first but Reece is persuasive enough to convince her, just like she's done numerous times. It helps that Manang has taken a liking to her as well. With precise timing and tons of good luck, they're able to sneak into the back door of the maids' quarters where they find several housekeepers keeping the guards on duty distracted with cards and a new viral dance video.

They pass through them unmarred. Next, Manang goes upstairs to check on Tita Beatrice. After confirming that she was sound asleep, they make their way to Oli's room as quietly as they can.

"Pumasok ka na agad kasi baka magising 'yon bigla at mag-ikot ikot. Mag-iingat ka ha? Sige na." Manang reminds Reece while slowly pushing on the small of her back, urging her to go inside. Reece nods at her and whispers a thank you after promising that she'd cook them something soon to make up for the trouble.

"Kahit 'wag na, basta mapabuti lang ang pakiramdam ni Ma'am Olivia." Manang answers. Reece squeezes her hand once and twists the doorknob.

* * *

The first thing Reece sees when she enters Oli's bedroom is an empty glass sitting on the nightstand.

She's drinking again, Reece thinks. She isn't new to this kind of Oli. The Charmagnes' house, or more accurately, countryside mansion, has a giant underground cellar and an extensive collection of hard liquor. Reece knows that the cabinet is usually locked, but Olivia drinks with her dad sometimes, so she must've had a duplicate key.

"Oli?" Reece calls. Her voice comes out more jittery than she expects, reflective of how nervous she is at the moment. There are many things that worry her about Oli and that she keeps to herself. Oli being overworked is at the top of that list. Reece's perception of Oli's mom has always been divided. On one hand, she knows Oli's always sought after Tita Beatrice's approval, even though she's so strict that it borders on psychotic at times. Nevertheless, Reece knows their mother-daughter relationship is important to Oli.

On the other hand, when circumstances created by her cause Oli to spiral and resort to drinking, when Oli misses her so badly that it casts a physical ache on her chest, she imagines how satisfying it'd be to say a few words to her mom.

Reece closes the door to the room with a gentle click. It's now only a few minutes before midnight, and the only light in the room comes from Oli's lamp sitting atop her study table. On the bed, she sees Oli lying down diagonally and with her feet dangling off the mattress.

Reece feels her heart beating rapidly. She's afraid to go closer and realize what state her best friend is in this time. The memory that crosses her mind, the moment Oli sent those text messages a while ago, is that she's exhausted, carrying indescribable pressure, and that she wants to see her. Me.

She likes the thought of Oli missing her, but it makes her feel guilty indulging in her feelings like this when her best friend is having a tough time.

Reece shakes her head and leans forward and backward a couple of times on her toes and heels. She needs to be there as a friend. Nothing more.

She takes a deep breath and moves closer.

* * *

Olivia is drunk out of her mind. Why else would she be hearing Reece calling her name, or be able to smell her baby powder cologne, if she weren't hallucinating? Wait, olfactory hallucinations are pretty rare, right?