Chapter 1

31st December 1981
"Betty please for the sake of your friend, pleaseee go to the party with me" the blonde-curly headed girl who styles her hair in high ponytail with a ribbon gave me the doe-eyed look at me.

I rolled my eyes and mouth 'no' then I continue to read my comic.

Frustrated, she got up from kneeling and sat next to me on the couch. She sigh.

"Why do you want me to go, Rachel?" I ask.

"Why don't you want to go?" She counter-ask me

"Because party sucks. All they do is play a loud music and rub their body against each other. Plus my introvert self cannot handle being in a party"

"But this one is different" Rachel held my arm, trying to steal my attention. I tilt my hand and raised my eyebrow, waiting for her explanation on why this party is 'different'.

"Because it's new year tomorrow" she said.

"Come on when have you celebrate new year with your roommate. Also known as your dearest best friend, Rachel?"

"Rachel the last time I went to the party with you, I end up being alone while you're hanging out with your boyfriend" I knew I promised her to not bring that up again, but I did.

"Oh come on it was only one time. I promised you this party will be life changing" Rachel try to convince myself again

But she's right, I rarely hang out with her. What could go wrong, I'm pretty sure I can hide from the crowd at the party.

I sigh and rolled my eyes at her. I get up from my seat, walking towards the mirror next to our couch.

I saw my reflections on the mirror. Brown eyes, dark brown hair in half up hairstyles and natural tan skin. I may not be beautiful in some eyes but in my eyes, I've learnt to accept my truest form.

I put my left hand on the table and another hand to fix a few strands of hair. I look at Rachel whose probably just observing me all these time.

"Fine. I'll go" I said as I walked towards my bedroom to get ready for the party.

Rachel jumped out from the couch and hug me from behind while giving me lots, lots of smooches all over my face.

- Gary's Mansion -

We arrived at Gary's house. He was my school's popular students back then but now since we've graduated and continue to walk in our own path, I don't know if he still has the fame in college.

I never really like him.

Once during our prom night he tried to kiss me in front of his date to make her jealous. I do make some scenes there and everyone knows that he sexually harrased me but really, they don't care.

Now let's cut this flashback.

The mansion is really big, I don't know how many rooms there is in this mansion. Caught Up In You by 38 Specials were played in the background. Rachel pulled my hand towards the food corner. She poured beer into the plastic cup for me and her.

"Cheers toward Betty for finally joining a party" We cheered and have us some drink.

"Wait I'm going to look for Matt" Rachel said as she tried to walk away from me to find her boyfriend. I caught her hand before she gets to disappear from my sight.

"Midnight, 12 a.m. we meet there, you go have fun with your boyfriend" I pointed at the living room.

"What about you?" She ask. I know it's rare to see me to survive party on my own.