1 - Anakin Skywalker

Start from the beginning

"Of course, but remember that it is only a recommendation and it will still be up to the President of the company who takes my position." He explained, which I understood.

"I know," I reached over the desk and placed my hand over his, "But still, I'm grateful you would even put me up for consideration."

"You would be amazing and I am confident she will see your potential after I've spoken with her," He placed his other hand on top of mine and gave it a gentle squeeze before letting go, "Tomorrow is going to be my retirement party and there will already be refreshments and all that, so no need to stop at the coffee shop." He picked up his iced coffee again and gave it a few sips.

I took this as the end of our conversation and stood up from the chair so I could get to my desk and start on my duties for the day, "I'll make sure to bring the cake, your favorite."

"Chocolate?" His wise, old eyes lit up with excitement.

I nodded with a subtle wink as I backed out of the opened door, "With chocolate frosting."

He placed his hand on his chest with a gasp of elation, "What am I going to do without you in my life?"

"Suffer in misery," I teased before fully turning around and making my way to my desk, an excited smile spreading across my cheeks as I glanced around the office. I just might become their boss in a few days, and I hope to be the best they've had. Aside from Fred of course, no one can out-do Fred, that man is an Angel that everyone adores.

I sat at my desk and my friend Alex who sat to my right just less than three feet rolled over to me in his chair, using my desk as his stopper, "I heard everything." He wiggled his brows, which I could see from my peripheral vision.

I glanced into his hazel eyes and placed my finger up to my lips and shushed him, "I don't want anyone to know yet. Just in case I don't get it, I'd rather save myself the embarrassment." I dropped my hand down with a sigh. I was excited that it was a possibility, but I didn't want to get my hopes too high in fear of disappointment. And I know he's the only one who heard because his desk and mine are the closest to Fred's office, the rest were a decent distance away.

He pushed my shoulder a little aggressively and I shot him a scowl, "Are you kidding? Of course you're going to get it. You've been working under him for six years, if anyone deserves the job, it's you."

I felt like he was only flattering me because he's always had a noticeable crush on me, despite me being engaged, but I still welcomed the encouragement, "Thanks Alex, I do have my fingers crossed."

He nodded with an encouraging smile, "Of course, and um I was wondering if after work you maybe want to get a drink—"

I cut his words off by raising my left hand in the air to highlight my engagement ring under the fluorescent lights, "How many times are we going to have this conversation Alex?"

He chuckled with a shrug as he leaned back in his chair, the rusty hinges creaking, "Until you realize we're soulmates."

I fully turned my chair to face him and placed my boot on his chair, "Go back to your desk and finish your work," I rolled my eyes before using my foot to push his chair back to his desk.

He allowed himself to roll away with an amused chuckle, "Whatever you say boss."

I shot him a glare that told him to keep his mouth shut, before I turned my attention to my computer. As I waited for it to turn on, I couldn't help but smile again.

Boss does have a nice ring to it.

—ꨄ—
The Next Day

With the cake sitting on the passenger seat of my car, I pulled into the parking structure and drove to the exact spot I have been parking in everyday for as long as I've worked here, right next to Fred's black Mercedes.