CHAPTER NINE: Peculiar

***REIJU POV***

"A classical ball..?"

I repeated our father's words slowly, mostly so I could try and register them completely.
"Yes. One of the countries we assisted in a war have invited us to attend their annual Autumn Ball. It is not something I would typically consider, but since gaining their independence with the use of our power they have fallen under the protection of Big Mom."

"I see. So this would be a political mission." Ichiji beat me to a response, earning a nod from our father, who sat high above us on his throne.
"Precisely. You will all join me in attendance, three months from today. Whilst missions will still be prioritised, you shall all brush up on basic etiquette."

A breeze for me, Ichiji too...but Ni and Yon...

"Yes, sir." My brothers all accepted their task in unison, but I could hear the faint frustration in the younger pairs' voices.
"Will Big Mom herself be attending?" I queried, standing tall and attentive before the man who, above all else, was our leader.

"No, but I have word that several of her children shall be there, which shall be more than enough to initiate further discussions. All you need to concern yourselves with is not disgracing the name of Germa. You have all done well thus far, but we must keep up appearances."

Since when have you ever cared about appearances? Apart from striking fear into the hearts of the people from the North Blue...

It wasn't something I was looking forward to in the slightest, but my father's words were absolute. Off to my side, I could sense the youngest two of my present brothers shuffling a little. It was peculiar.

They had seemed different over the past few days. Nothing too obvious, but I considered myself as an incredibly perceptive person. Niji fidgeted a lot with his hands, cracking his knuckles and toying with his buttons as though he wasn't aware he was doing it.

Yonji had been sneaking around, or attempting to. I hadn't taken the time to follow him as of yet, but he was up to something. There was no need for secrecy in the castle, so whatever it was would definitely be a cause for concern.

"Considering this is a formal event, would you consider allowing me a plus one?" I almost couldn't stop my head from whipping around too abruptly to stare at Ichiji when he spoke.

A plus one? Is he being serious right now?

Ichiji had never dated. None of us had, in any way, shape or form. I, sadly, knew my brothers had their needs met occasionally, but never more than once with the same woman, and they had often either been paid or threatened to do so.

"A woman? Where have you found the time to meet a woman you deem worthy enough to stand by your side? Don't tell me you've taken interest in one of your leg-spreading port whores?" The way my father described the poor women who had come and gone through their bedsheets made my stomach twist, but in no way did I allow my face to show it.

"No. I want to take that new slave girl you purchased." Ichiji responded confidently, and whilst my reaction remained internal, both Niji and Yonji physically displayed their shock. "I think with some grooming she would look good on my arm. You did say you want to keep up appearances, right, father?"

(Y/N)? What does he want with her? She's been through enough already...

Judge remained silent for a long time, glaring down at his eldest son as he took in his words.
"Why the slave? It's an odd request." It was surprising that he hadn't rejected the question immediately, so I continued to quietly observe.