4. Here Comes Trouble

 It is a normal day like any other that Malka wakes up and knows. War clings to the very fabric of the air. Even with Bucky's arms around her or the monotonous work of the farm life they chose, she can feel it in her bones as she breathes. Something otherworldly has entered the atmosphere—not in Wakanda, but somewhere.

When she sees T'Challa and Okoye approach with guards over the hill, it only confirms her suspicions. From her spot just outside their hut with Bucky's shirt and a sewing needle in hand, Malka stands with her gaze locked on the hill.

In front of her, Bucky pauses hauling bags of wheat around and frowns. "What is it?" He follows her gaze, and his body slows.

"We really should have showered," Malka sighs as she makes her way to his side. "I told you something was wrong."

"Yeah, well, I guess it's wrong to hope now?"

She shakes her head. "I wish the universe could learn to be kind."

They walk up to the king together as the guards place cases down on their piles of hay and open them. Inside one lies a metal arm outfitted specifically for Bucky. In another, Malka sees a shining garrote—her garrote—with what she assumes are a few modifications from Shuri.

"Where's the fight?" Bucky asks.

"On its way," T'Challa replies. "We will require your assistance. Both of you."

"What kind of assistance?" Malka asks as she runs her fingers over her weapon before taking it in her hands and clasping it around her neck.

"Every kind."

"Then we'd better take a shower."

"Вы хотите сэкономить воду?" Bucky mutters as he too takes his metal arm. (You want to save water?)

Malka smirks, her cheeks heating as she looks down at her feet. "Может, нам сначала нужно спасти мир?" She presses her lips to his cheek before she sighs and looks back at T'Challa. "Your fight is our fight, majesty. We'll be ready." (Maybe we need to save the world first?)

They do, in fact, save some water when they get to the palace and prepare. Even Shuri noted how desolate the pair looked and smelled and sent them to a rather luxurious spa room where they prepared. Malka helped Bucky secure his metal arm, smiling encouragingly when he swung it around.

Then, they separated. Of course, Malka wanted to meet her friends first, show off Bucky with a pleased smile, but she was told she'd have to prepare for something big, so she went to the lab. When Shuri explained what the plan was, Malka stood there stunned for a solid minute before she began looking through papers.

"This is insane," Malka says almost to herself as she rushes around the lab with Shuri, trying to figure out how the hell to remove the mind stone. "We don't know how it fused with his soul. This is...almost unethical."