Chapter 4

A few hours had gone by. The Pizzaplex had opened and everyone was at their stations. It took a bit, but eventually the kids started pouring into the daycare. Oliver had been originally sitting with you behind the desk, but you had to shoo him out once the first few kids arrived. You didn't want them thinking he was getting some sort of special treatment.

Sun practically took center stage for most of the morning. All the kids flocked to him, eager to play with the daycare attendant they came here for. Sun was surprisingly good at making sure all the kids got equal attention, leaving no child feeling left out. A few of the shyer kids came and talked to you and Peter. They seemed to be scared off by Sun's energy. Though, this didn't seem to bother the animatronic. Peter had set up a small arts and crafts station in front of the desk so Sun could focus more on the kids who wanted to play games like tag or lava monster.

Soon, lunchtime rolled around and the daycare was temporarily cleared out so you and Peter could eat and do another quick clean of the daycare.

"Wow... I never thought I'd be trying to wrangle kids when I first got this job," you said, laughing a little as you took a bite of the Pizza Amanda had gotten for all of you.

"I know. I mean, maintenance is your main job but because it's hard to find workers, your basically just assigned an area or an animatronic and do all the little jobs in that area as well. Like, I was supposed to be a janitor, but they were so short staffed on people to run the daycare that they asked me to help manage this area of the Pizzaplex," Amanda explained.

"I'm actually one of the few people who got the job they applied for. I wanted a job at the daycare since the old one I worked at shut down. They wound up having to schedule Monday through Friday and I worked from opening to closing. They gave me major benefits and a huge pay raise for my availability and I'm basically the daycare manager," Peter said.

"Wow, that's amazing. How long have you guys been working here?" you asked.

"I've worked here for almost six years now. Amanda's been working here for about two. It's mainly just the two of us who run the daycare. We have some high schoolers who take over for part of the evening shifts, but we're the only two people who are full time workers," he said.

"Yeah. Kinda sucks but, what are you gonna do? People come here to watch animatronics perform and eat pizza, not clean up the dining area or get yelled at by customers when something goes wrong," Amanda said.

"Fair. That's why most people don't work customer service," you said, laughing.

"Oh man, speaking of customer service, I used to work cash register at a fast-food place. It was horrible! The customers who went there were always so bitchy and the management was terrible!" Amanda exclaimed.

"Well, you're not much better here," Peter said, laughing.

"At least the kids are fun!"

You laughed and rolled your eyes.

"So, (y/n), you work any jobs before this?" Peter asked.

"No... I never had time to. I always had to keep an eye on Ollie after school. Our caretaker would work late into the night and sometimes wouldn't even get home until the next morning. I just had to deal with staying home and keeping an eye on him," you explained.

"Damn... well, at least you know how to take care of kids. That's something a lot of the high school workers here don't seem to know how to do," Amanda said.

You nodded. Now that Oliver was on your mind again, you looked around for him. He had eaten two slices of pizza before running off to play with Sun. You could see Sun, but Oliver was nowhere in sight. You watched Sun climb around the jungle gym, crawling though tubes and darting across bridges. After a minute, he disappeared into one of the tubes and an excited squeal echoed through the daycare a few seconds later.

"Heh, they're playing hide and seek, huh?" Peter said.

"Pft- I don't think anyone has ever beat Sun at that game," Amanda said.

"I mean, he starts freaking out and crying if he can't find a kid and that usually lures them out," Peter said, shrugging.

You laughed at hearing this. The more you learned about and interacted with Sun, the fonder you grew of him. He was such a sweet goofball who really cared for all of the kids he watched over, even the ones he barely knew.

"So, (y/n), are you ready to meet Moon?" Peter asked.

"Moon?" You tilted your head.

"Oh yeah, it's naptime after our lunch is over," Amanda said.

"Mhm. About thirty minutes after the daycare opens again, we start naptime. That's when you get to meet Moon," Peter explained.

"I guess I'm ready," you said.

"Sweet. Well, let's finish eating and then do one last clean!" Amanda said.