(I) Chapter 16 - Unstring

"Everything comes with a price."

"Come on Fumia, be smarter!"

"Your mother is rendered useless."

"You don't have a choice but to take the deal"

Why am I remembering these now? Was everything even worth it? I got out of it right? Why does it feel like my life is flashing before my eyes...?

"FUMIA!"

I can hear voices but I can't seem to understand everything that they're trying to say.

"HANG IN THERE! WE'LL GET YOU TO A HOSPITAL!"

Everything's hazy and I can't feel anything. I can see faces but I'm unable to recognize any of them. Everything started to fade out.

"Is this it for me? Did I live a fulfilling life? Did I do good? I'm... I'm starting to feel tired... I did my best right...? Is it okay for me to rest now...?"

"Life's a bitch. You either be its bitch, or be tough as a nail and crawl out from this hell hole."

"I know that Maki... I know, because you taught me how to survive..."

"You're the best daughter a mother can ever have..."

"Mom...?"

"Hey, don't give up yet!"

"How long do I have to strive for my life, Seiji-kun..."

"The purest of joy comes to those who experienced great sorrow..."

"But... Everything that happened to me... Does one need to experience sorrow before one can be happy? Can't I just be happy without experiencing sorrow...? Is it a requirement to suffer first...?"

"You can consider me a rival when it comes to Takeji. But I can also be your friend..."

"A friend... I haven't had a genuine friend ever since I started high school. Nino-chan... Thank you for considering me as one... Even though we're pursuing the same person... Thank you for making me feel like a normal person... A normal high school girl... I guess... I did okay... I supposed I can rest now..."

"Onee-chan...!"

"Hanna...!?"

"Onee-chan...! Are you leaving me...!?"

"Hanna... Onee-chan is—"

"Don't leave me please...! Who will take care of me...? Who will watch movies with me...? Aren't we supposed to go on a trip once I get better...? You promised to have fun with me right...? Please... Don't leave me..."

"Hanna... I—"

"Onee-chan's leaving me...! I can't live without Onee-chan...! Please... Wake up...! Wake up Onee-chan...!"

I gasped for air as if I was drowning the whole time. My eyes slowly opened and I can feel my consciousness getting back to me. I slowly try to look around and found myself lying on the bed. I saw someone resting beside me.

"S—Seiji-kun...?" I tried to place my hand on top of his head to get his attention.

"F—Fumia!? You're finally awake! Thank goodness! Let me call the doctor!"