Late

"Anakin, I..."

"Look, I'm going to be late, no doubt. I'm sorry."

Padmé and Anakin had planned a special dinner together at their favorite restaurant. Anakin had let a meeting go way over at the Temple, so he would be late.

For a moment, there was silence. Then Padmé broke it.

"Should I just leave the restaurant? You're not going to be here for a little while longer..."

"No, I'm on my way."

Ten minutes passed. Anakin hadn't arrived.

Another ten minutes passed. He still wasn't there.

Five minutes later, he arrived in his dirty boots and Jedi robes. He found her waiting at a table.

"Padmé, I'm so sorry. The meeting was important, and there was much to discuss. I'm-"

She put a finger to his lips. "I get it. These things happen in wartime. Let's just sit down, eat and forget about our duties for a little bit."

"Just remember I have to be on guard just incase anyone finds out we're here for everything but to discuss work."

Padmé smiled, her eyes sparkling. "Of course, General."

The Betty waitress droid came over to the table, asking what they wanted for a beverage. When she left, Padmé pretended they were there for council ing for Anakin.

"Anything going on right now that you're concerned about?"

"Yeah. See, there's this woman. She has the most beautiful eyes, and I'm extremely attracted to her. Her brown curls of hair bounce when she walks...as a Jedi, I'm taught not to love. She's a galactic Senator of Naboo. Do you have any ideas on how to stay away from her? It's hard not to. She just has the best personality."

Padmé looked down at her lap and bit her lip. "I'm sorry, General. I can't give you any advice on that. Because there's this man I love too much to leave. He's a strong Jedi Knight, and he has crystal blue eyes that pierce me whenever I look into them. He's not allowed to love...so, I guess I have the same problem as you do. Handsome, chiseled face and features, sweetest personality...oh, what's not to fall for in him?"

Anakin crossed his arms and rested them on the tabletop in front of him. "The woman looks a whole lot like you..." He leaned in, and before he could do anything, the Betty droid came.

He leaned back right away and held his fist up to his mouth, clearing his throat. "Thank you," he said, gruffly as the droid set down drinks.

"What would you like for appetizers? Main courses?" the droid offered.

"Actually, we haven't even decided yet," Padmé interjected, smiling.

"I will be back soon," the droid said, walking away.

"For a second, I thought I was going to blow it," Anakin said, half laughing.

Padmé sighed. "Me too. Thank goodness that droid came."

They laughed together as the night went on, exchanging glances and little gestures that meant so much to each of them.