Chapter Twenty Four

Start from the beginning

Zynthéa and Ava were already disposing Josie's naked body. Ava looked like she wanted to tear Josie apart even after the girl was already dead.

When we were at the top of the underground, I turned to my mate, completely confused. "Where are we going?"

Alexander appeared beyond furious. I mean, I knew seeing Josie would pull at his nerves, but I didn't realise it could get him that worked up.

When I received no reply from him, I placed my hand on his shoulder to still him. Again, I was completely taken aback when I saw his facial expression.

I had never seen him like this.

"What's wrong?" I asked, concerned, as I ran my finger over his clenched jaw.

Before he could respond, Jaxon came rushing over. "Lyr, you alright?"

Alexander growled at him, pulling me closer to him. "Keep your eyes off of her," he snarled, his nails digging in to my waist.

Jaxon snorted. "Dude, you can't be serious. She is my sister, you freak!"

My mate glared at my best friend, ready to tear his throat apart too. I narrowed my eyes at Jaxon, not appreciating how he was taunting Alexander in his current state.

'Jax, don't.'

I turned my focus back on my mate.

I gently stroked his cheek, bringing his eyes back on me. "Hey, it's okay."

Alexander clenched his jaw, and his charcoal eyes didn't have a single blue spec in them. It concerned me. I didn't understand why he was so angry.

"Lyr, what happened? I didn't see anyone enter the grounds," Jaxon quickly said. "I mean, of course, I saw Alexander rush in but before that, no one else went in."

I frowned at his words. Josie must have laid low, unless someone had helped her. But surely, that couldn't be the case.

"Jaxon, help the ladies dispose of the body," my mate ordered with full authority. "I am taking my Luna away from here for a couple of days. No one will question or interrupt us."

Alexander's words made me glance at him with concerned eyes. He wanted us to leave in the midst of a rogue attack? What the heck.

'What are you doing?' I mind-linked him.

My mate sighed, his gaze on me. His eyes were hard and intense, and almost filled with sorrow.

'I will explain later. I'm taking you. Let's go.'

Alexander gave Jaxon a single nod, the latter boy frowned but mimicked the Alpha's action. My best friend glanced at me briefly before nodding and rushed away.

"Where are we going?" I repeated to Alexander, feeling my heart now jumping out of my chest.

Alexander, once again, completely ignored me. He was taking bit strides, making it almost hard for me to keep up with him. At one point, I was even jogging along.

When I had enough of his silence, I snatched my hand out of his grip, making him come to a halt.

"What are you doing?" he asked, turning around to face me.

"What am I doing?" I repeated, astonished. "Why are you avoiding me?"

Alexander frowned, before his lips pressed together in a line. "I'm not avoiding you, Lyra. I am sorry," he muttered, before he stepped closer and wrapped his arms around me. "My wolf is beyond furious. If I don't leave for a day or two, I will hurt someone."

I was running my hand up and down his back soothingly, but at his words, I pulled back slightly to glance up at him.

"Josie is dead, why are you so worked up over this?" I asked, confused.

His brows furrowed, appearing just as confused as I.

"I'm not angry because of that rogue," he elaborated, shaking his head slightly.

"Then what is it?"

Alexander sighed. "Lyra, I want to explain everything to you right now. But I need to get us out of here first."

I pulled back completely and crossed my arms. "You want us to leave knowing rogues just attacked?"

My mate clenched his jaw, anger clearly coursing through him. I could feel his wolf begging to dominate.

"They weren't mere rogues," he explained, his voice harsh and filled with venom.

My brows twitched at his words. "What is that supposed to mean? You know them?"

Alexander glanced at me with such intense and hard eyes, to the point I thought he was ready to attack me as well.

I placed my hands on either side of his face, wondering if I could do anything to get him to come down from his high. What had happened for him to be this worked up?

We had encountered rogues before, and he always handled it with so much efficacy.

"The rogues were lead by Jessica," my mate spat. "But that's not the worst part in any of this."

My eyes widened as his words registered. The she-wolf from his past was going to every length to get Alexander back. Why? Then it confused me as to why Josie had appeared at the same time. There was no possibilities of the two being linked, surely.

It made no sense.

Then I recalled Alexander's words, and I glanced at him in a panic.

"What's the worst part?" I asked, knowing it would be bad if it had caused Alexander to be in the current state that he was in.

He growled lowly, before muttering, "My mother."