┊ii. Bittersweet

Well, mention of abuse, possible self harm.
If you are not comfortable, please skip.

- A bit of Iris Dusk memory

Cold.

That's what she felt, only a blurry scenery of a little boy crying was all she could make up in her eyes.

"Big sister! Wake up, please!" Who was this boy? Why could she not remember? Were those tears?

"Big sister.." She heard the small boy continuing to sob. Her instincts worked faster than her mind, wasting no time but to engulf the figure in a tight hug.

The small boy let out a gasp in surprise, the female was squeezing onto him for dear life. By now, he knew there was no use hiding his tears, she wouldn't have much time left if they just stayed like that, she needed to be taken care of properly.

But who could do that? Surely not their father, oh heavens no.

A yearning feeling, for someone to come help them.

"Big sister, wake up. Please don't leave Noah.." So, Noah was his name? Such a pretty name. What about hers? What was her name?

"Noah?" The name felt familiar, it wasn't a rare name. But she felt like she knew something, but she couldn't put her finger on it.

Tiny beads of blood continuously dripped down her forehead, reaching her cheek. Onto the floor, for any other kid, this would be traumatising.

But she was used to it, she was numb. In fact, but the little Noah boy seemed to have taken the pain instead.

It was times like this where they wished their older brother didn't leave. Such grief was brought onto their family after that.

"Big sister, please.." His words trailed off, feeling delicate fingers cover his mouth. Noah knew it was a sign to keep silent, but his sobs didn't ease out at all, it became louder.

The sight was heartbreaking, where were their parents? Have they not known the moment their children are facing?

Of course, they knew.

Of course, he knew.

He was the cause, the cause for those two children were on the floor, crying in each other's embrace.

"Noah, this might be my last moments, my last breath. If you ever find 'him', tell him I love the both of you, and will always watch over you both.. Do not tell father a word about this, I would like to die in peace.. You know?"

A gentle frown tugged on her lips. The boy, Noah. Shook his head rather aggressively, denying any of the words his sister let out get into his head.

"You'll survive, you have to.. You need to"

His sobs grew in volume, he began shaking in torture, fear, and what not.

"Noah Dusk, I trust you to stay strong for me.. Can you do that? Little prince?" She mumbled, toying around with the boy's hair. Still in a hazy state of mind, the boy mindlessly nodded.

"Good, now rest little prince, everything will be okay tomorrow"

Would it be okay tomorrow?

Was she really going to accept her fate, accept that she was going back 'home' tomorrow?

Maybe, maybe it was what she wanted.. Maybe freedom was her dream, not money, not success, freedom.

The little boy squeezed her tighter, with her only chuckling. Patting his head, both of them dozing off, one to a slumber, the other possible to meet death itself.

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

Soft snoring, what or who made such a sound?

Her eyes gently opened, not used to the insufferable amount of light. Such a pain..

Her gaze was met, with the same little boy which she known as her little brother.

A smile made it's way to her face, the slightest tug on her lips, her hand reaches out to caress the little boy's cheek.. Warm, soft, this definitely wasn't a dream.

Though, if it wasn't a dream.. Who bought them here? To this hospital..? She thinks it's a hospital anyways.

"I see, you are awake"

Her trance snapped to the figure beside her, blonde hair and sharp blue eyes. She seemed to be stunned by the figure.

Only which caused them to chuckle, "I am Emerlynn, your little brother called out for help. And I was more than ready to give it to both of you" the girl explained.

Emerlynn, such a lovely name.

What was her name then?

Would her name be as lovely as the name of the girl beside her? Would it be something difficult yet unique? What was her name?

"I believe your brother mentioned, your name is Iris dusk, and..............."

Emerlynn's words trailed off to fog, Iris? Was that her name?

It's... Very pretty..
..
Iris, such a pretty name..
..
How unfortunate it was, that her last name was the name of a big businessman.

A man so busy, small disturbance to his work a mere distraction could cause multiple injuries to a being.

And she learnt that, the hard way.

Perhaps.. One day she'd also find a way to change her name, to something worth to be called perfect.