a bit of backstory

Sonic and Tails are chasing after eggman after he stole the blue chaos emerald. Eggman is in his usual floating pod, sonic running and tails flying.

Sonic:"eggman! come back here!"

Tails: "Sonic?"

Sonic: "yeah buddy?"

Tails: "why would he only steal one?"

Sonic: "what?"

Eggman: "Why have all of the chaos emeralds when you only need one to take down a certain blue, idiotic hedgehog? *Laughs*"

the bottom of Eggman's pod splits open and a long metal beam with red rings around it is slowly lowered out. The red rings on it start flashing wildly and a small, teal, plasma orb grows on the end of the cannon. 

Sonic: "tails what is that?"

Tails: "I-I don't know..."

Tails messes around with one of his devices, trying to understand what it is as the orb grows bigger.

Sonic (rushed): "Tails!"

Tails: "Yep. Yep. Sorry... let's see..."

Sonic charges a spin-dash and launches himself at eggman. Sonic misses and falls to the ground, quickly getting back up and back to running.

Eggman: "ha! you fight like a girl!" (not tryna to be sexist, srry about that)

The cannon then fires a massive teal lazer. Tails quickly drops down and pushes Sonic out of the way. Instead tails gets hit and is launched back. Sonic let eggman go and he ran back to tails. Tails was on the floor. Some of his fur was charred at the ends and he looked overall like he had been set on fire. Sonic gets down on one knee beside him.

Sonic: "T-tails? buddy?"

Tails manages to let out a small tired groan.

Sonic: "let's get you home"

Sonic picked up tails gently and ran back to Tail's house. He laid Tails on his bed and Sonic sat on the floor with his back against the end of Tail's bed and soon fell asleep.