Chapter 16

~Chapter 16~

Reedstar’s back legs were sliced wide open at the tops by what looked like huge cat claws. The back of his neck was bitten deep and his back was clawed all the way down from ear to the base of his tail. Blood and foul smelling liquid came steadily out of the gross wounds giving him a disgusting scent about him. Every cat was petrified with fear. Mintsprout, as brave as she was, stood speechless at the sight of her leader and after what seemed like an eternity did she move to help him. She grabbed every cobweb in sight and raced to her leader’s side. No other cat moved or flinched and the only sound audible was of his labored breathing. Then, Hawkstrike and Birdfeather moved to help Mintsprout move the torn leader to the medicine den. There she put a poultice of marigold and burdock root to help with the severe infection that had set into his wounds faster that Mintsprout had ever seen. His body was very feverish and he would have fits of shivering at random times. She did everything she could but it became clear to her that this was not looking good.

Flamepaw stared at her leader as she lay next to her sister. “Flamepaw…I don’t think he’ll make it…” Mintsprout whispered. “He has a life left…doesn’t he?” Flamepaw asked quietly. Mintsprout shook her head. “No. He must have lost it returning to the camp. Even if he survives though, he will never be able to walk again. The claws on his legs cut to the bone. Even if he returns to perfect health he will never be able to move his hind legs ever again.” She sobbed. Flamepaw laid her tail on Mintsprout’s “You’ve done everything you can. Hollyleaf would be very proud if she could see you now.” She said, trying to comfort her friend. “Would she?” Mintsprout spat, walking away to her permanent nest and laying down to sleep, her back to the cats. “I don’t know anymore…” Flamepaw whispered, curling around her sister and falling asleep.

During the night, Flamepaw found herself again in the open and grassy clearing. She didn’t see the cats but she smelled their sweet scent. “PLEASE! Spare my sister and our leader! This was my mistake!” but a dense fog rolled in and swallowed her and her desperate cry was lost to the wind. She was jolted awake by Reedstar panting hard and fast like he was out of breath. She went over to Mintsprout and said “Mintsprout, something’s going wrong!” and she was instantly on her feet. She laid the back of her paw on Reedstar’s side and she quickly yanked it away. “He’s freezing and his heart is beating like a mouse’s!” she said incredulously. “What do we do?!” Flamepaw cried. “I’ll try feverfew and poppy but I don’t know how well this will work.” Mintsprout said, hurriedly mixing the two herbs together. Reedstar then began to twitch so violently his flailing paws threw moss about in the den.

Mintsprout came over and instructed Flamepaw to open his jaws. As she did, Mintsprout popped the herb mix into his mouth and into his throat. Reedstar’s pelt was cold as frost and his eyes were wide with terror. But they were not normal eyes. They were like a kit’s eyes, gazing out in a terrified and confused way. Flamepaw was frightened and stepped back in surprise. At this point Waterpaw was also awake along with a few of the warriors. They watched helplessly as Reedstar’s chest rose and fell slower and slower. Feeling that there was nothing left she could do, Flamepaw laid back her ears and yowled at him. Tears flowed don her orange cheeks as her leader slipped away. His flailing had eased off to a quick jerk every few seconds. Then, he gave one last mighty jolt and he was still.

His eyes drooped and clouded like they were filled with fog. All the cats stared decrepitly, their eyes deeply sorrowful. “He is in Starclan’s paws now…” Flowerpelt whispered, hanging her head in grief. Then, she raised her head and called out painfully. She was joined by the other watching cats in her chorus of sorrow. The hollow sound rang off the walls of the camp, waking the rest of the clan. They knew what it meant. Their leader for many moons had died.