Chapter 31

Later, I took a bus ride to the grocery store, as I wanted to cook a special dinner for Máiréad and Aaliyah. I browsed around for the items I needed, and placed each one in my basket.

As I was finishing up, I heard a very loud, irate voice shouting, "Excuse me!"

I turned to see a rather upset lady standing behind me. She wore a blue top, jeans, and had short red hair. I smiled politely at her. "May I help you?"

"Finally!" she huffed. "I've been trying to get your attention for the past five minutes!"

"Oh, I'm sorry. What can I help you with?"

"I can't find anything in this damn store, and you're the only employee I could find! Get me these items on my list!" She shoved a folded up sheet of paper in my face.

I blushed as I realized why she was so upset. "Oh, I'm sorry, ma'am. I don't works here, but I would be happy to help you."

"Works here?" she scoffed. "Jeez, no wonder you could only get a job at a grocery store. You don't even know how to speak properly."

I grinned at her. "I knows I talks funny, but please let me helps you either way. Let me look at your list."

She handed me her list, and I quickly read through it.

"Oh! I knows where all those itemses are! Come, follow me."

She reluctantly followed me, dragging her shopping cart behind her. I managed to find every item on her list. She seemed rather irritated with me at first, but she slowly calmed down as I never showed any hint of irritation in return. I knows she was not very nice to me, but I didn't see the point in retaliating. What good would that do? Soon, she realized by looking closer at my attire–a green, short sleeve, zip-up shirt, matching pants, and white sandals, that I was not a store employee. She glared at me with confusion.

"So... if you don't work here, why are you helping me?" she asked.

"Because, you needed help," I replied, "and I loves to help people."

"But, why didn't you get an employee? Isn't that their job?"

I smiled. "Of course, but I think it's nice to step in for them sometimes. They works very hard for us, and if we can makes their jobs easier, I knows they appreciates that. Besides, helping you is bringing me so much joy."

The lady was even more confused. Then, I saw a tinge of sadness in her eyes. "But... why?"

"Because, I just loves to help people. It makes me happy."

The lady looked down at her feet.

"Are you alright, Sweetie?" I asked, concerned.

"I'm... I'm fine," she stuttered.

"But, you looks so sad," I said lovingly.

Tears formed in her eyes, and my heart broke.

"Awwww, what's the matter, Sweetheart?"

She didn't answer. I could tell she was hesitant, but she also needed a shoulder to lean on.

"It's alright. You can tells me."

"My life is shit," she sighed. "I have five kids, and my husband's never home. He works all the time, and I have to do everything by myself. I don't have even five minutes to myself. I have no friends. I... I'm angry all the time, and... I... I take it out on everyone around me... even my own kids." And, with that, she broke down sobbing.