Chapter 7

Not too long after we finished our dinner, I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard sudden loud music. Aaliyah laughed, and explained to me that it was the KJ getting ready to start. She explained to me what a KJ is, and how karaoke works. Oh, so exciting it was! I couldn't waits, Precious! I squealed and bounced in my seat, making my tail squeak! I burst into giggles! Oh, so happy I was!

"Alright, y'all!" the KJ announced. "Welcome out to karaoke tonight here at Grady's! I'm your host, Effie, and I'll be here until midnight! If you wanna sing, just come sign your name on the board up here with the name of the song and the artist, and I'll get you up here as soon as I can!"

"Effie?" I enquired. "That's her name?"

"Yep," Aaliyah replied.

I grinned. "It's so cute."

Aaliyah laughed softly.

"Alright, first up, we have the lovely Máiréad, and she's gonna be singin' 'Anyone' by Demi Lovato! Come on up, Máiréad."

I watched as a lovely lady with long, golden hair walked up to the stage. Effie handed her the microphone. Then, the song began to play, and Máiréad began to sing.

"Oh, bless us, and splash us, Precious!" I cried. "What a beautiful voice she has!"

Aaliyah nodded.

The song she sang was so sad, and as I watched and listened, I could see so much pain in her eyes. I could hear it in her voice. She was fighting her own demons, just like me. Awww, poor thing. My heart hurt so much for her. I wanted to run up to her, and gives her the biggest hug. Who would ever dream of hurting someone so lovely and special?

When she finished her song, we all cheered for her as I wiped tears from my eyes.

"Isn't she incredible?" said Effie as Máiréad made her way back to her table. "Okay, next up, we have, uh... Smay-gol?"

"Oh, that's you!" Aaliyah said excitedly.

I jumped up from my seat, giggling at the way Effie mispronounced my name. I took hold of the microphone. "Hello," I singsonged. "My name is Smee-gol."

"Oh!" Effie laughed. "I didn't mean to say your name wrong, buddy."

"Awww, it's alright."

"Okay, Smee-gol is gonna be singing 'The Blessing' by Celtic Woman. Well, I guess Máiréad ain't the only Celtic Woman fan in the house anymore!"

I giggled.

"Alright, Sméagol, you ready?"

"Mmhmm!" I said cheerfully.

The music began to play, and I sang my heart out. As I sang, I looked over at Máiréad. She was sitting all by herself, and she looked so sad. My heart shattered when she looked at me with tears in her eyes. I walked over to her, still singing my song, extending a hand to her. She stood up, and looked at me as she began sobbing. I wrapped my free arm around her, and held her close as I finished singing, and she returned the embrace. I stroked her beautiful hair, and caressed her head and her backside.

Everyone cheered for me when I finished, but I didn't notice, as I was too invested in comforting this poor girl.

"Here, I'll take the mic," Aaliyah said as she removed the microphone from my hand, allowing me to wrap my other arm around Máiréad.

"It's alright, Precious," I said as we both sat down, and I continued holding and comforting her. "It'll be alright."

"I'm sorry," she sobbed.

"Awww, why is it sorry? You don't have to be sorry for anything, no. Sméagol is sorry. Sméagol is so sorry you're in so much pain."

She looked at me, confused.

"I saw it in your eyes, Precious. I can tells you're hurting so much."

Máiréad nodded her head.

I rested her head against my chest, and caressed and played with her hair. "It's alright, sweet girl. I understands pain. I knows what it's like when you hurt so much. You tries to reach out for someone. You cries out for help, and nobody hears you."

She nodded again.

"I hears you, Precious. I hears you."

She nuzzled up in my arms, and held onto me tighter. I could tell she needed someone there, and now that she found someone, she didn't want to lose them. She didn't want me to leave her. Poor thing held onto me for dear life as her sobbing escalated. I held her tighter in an effort to reassures her that I wouldn't leaves her.

"Awwww, it's alright, Precious. I won't leaves you, not if you don't want me to. I'm right here." I looked at her for a few minutes. Oh, so beautiful she was, beautiful hazel eyes, lovely golden hair, and I could see it all over her face that she had a beautiful heart, a beautiful heart that'd been heavily broken. "Is it alright if I gives you a kiss on your forehead?"

She nodded.

I leaned my head down, and planted a little kiss on her forehead. Then, I played with her hair as I talked to her. "Awwww, you're so beautiful. You knows that?"

She did not respond, but I could tell she didn't believes me.

"You are, yes. So beautiful you are. Your voice, your lovely hair, your eyes, your face, your heart. I can sees it all over your face; such a precious soul you are. Your singing, it brought tears to my eyes. Touched my heart it did."

"Thanks," she wept.

"Awwww, you're welcome, Precious. You're very, very welcome."

Not too long after, it was time for Máiréad to sing again. This time, she sang a song called "Heavy" by a band called Linkin Park. Oh, how beautiful it was, and again, I saw the anguish in her eyes. I was beginning to understand what music was for her, a way to express her pain, and to reach out for someone.

After she sang, it was my turn again. I asked her to stay up there with me as I took hold of the microphone. "I want to dedicate this song to my new friend, Máiréad."

"Awwwwwwww!" everyone cried as the music began to play.

I held Máiréad close as I sang "I'll Stand By You" by The Pretenders. She held onto me for dear life, and I kept my arm around her the entire time. When I finished, I kissed her forehead as the crowd cheered for me again. This time, I noticed, and I blew a kiss to them. "Awwww, thank you!" I cried. "Bless you all!" I handed Effie the microphone, and went back to my table with Máiréad still under my arm.

We both sat down, and I introduced her to Aaliyah. Poor thing was shy at first, but Aaliyah was so warm and kind to her. She soon felt more comfortable talking to her.

She only talked of her love for music, not much else, but I understood why. She wasn't ready to tell us what was going on inside. I understood. It's hard to knows who to trust when you've been hurt so deeply by so many, but we did our best to make sure she knew that we would never judge or betrays her.

When it was time for us to go home, Aaliyah gave her a small card with our address, phone number, and even social media. We made a promise to her that she would see us again, and that we would always be her friends. I gave her one last hug, and again, she held on tight. Poor thing didn't want to let go, but she eventually did. Then, we parted ways for the night