forty | beware the green-eyed monster

Start from the beginning

She asked him, "Okay, what is more likely, that Tetch is planting ideas in your head to screw with you or that Mario has Alice's virus?"

James yelled, "Lee, you cannot marry him!"

Leslie sighed before she walked past him as she said, "Mario said that you would never let us be happy." After she turned around to face him once more, she said to him, "I thought he was overreacting, but he's right. Tetch or not, you're obsessed. Let it go."

James's eyes widened for a fraction of a second before he said, "This is what he wanted."

Leslie asked him, "What are you talking about?"

James replied, "This. Me coming here. That's why he put me on his trail. He got the test so he could find out how to beat it. He had me arrest him, so I'd look like a jealous ex. That's why Zsasz let me go, so I'd race here... finally push you away."

Leslie sighed as she said to him, "Oh, Jim. I say this as someone who cares about you. Get help."

While she started to walk past him once more and head over towards the mirror, he told her, "I love you." After they both turned around to look at each other, he said, "I love you. I've never stopped."

As he started to walk towards her, he said, "I should've come to see you as soon as I got out of prison, but I couldn't. I was ashamed. I thought I had to set things right. But I did finally come, Lee. I saw you, through the window, with him. You were smiling. You looked happy. I couldn't bring myself to go in. I've regretted it every day since. Please. Don't marry him."

Leslie was silent for a couple of moments before she told James, "After the wedding... Mario and I are leaving Gotham. I'll never see you again."

James started to say to her, "Lee..."

As she started to cry, Leslie said to him, "Damn you... for telling me this now. You come in here with these crazy accusations, and when I don't believe you, you pull this? How dare you?!"

Then she quickly slapped him on the face, which got his head to quickly turn to the right before James asked her, "Don't you see? He wants you to hate me."

Leslie replied, "Well, he succeeded. Get the hell out of here!"

James yelled, "No!"

Leslie replied, "Fine." Then she looked past him and said, "Carmine."

While James turned around to see Carmine Falcone and Annabelle Mikaelson standing beside each other, Leslie asked Carmine, "Can you please help Detective Gordon find the exit?"

Carmine replied, "Certainly." Then he nodded at Annabelle, who merely bowed her head in response, before he said to Leslie, "And if you're ready, my dear."

Leslie looked at James for a couple of seconds before she looked back at Carmine as she said, "I am."

Then she walked past James and over towards Carmine and grabbed his held out arm before the two left the room.

It was only when the two were gone that Annabelle sighed and said to James, "That was a tough break for you, Gordon. It's too bad that it was all for nothing."

James didn't respond and simply allowed the two men to walk towards him and grab him by the arms before they forcefully removed him from the room with Annabelle walking closely behind them.

Afterwards, the four of them entered the hallway and walked towards the exit.

It wasn't until they were walking past some windows that James threw back his elbow into the face of the one that was walking on his right before swinging his fist into the other man's face.