forty | beware the green-eyed monster

Start from the beginning

James's eyebrows furrowed after he heard Victor tell Annabelle that he loved her before he shook his head to himself and asked the hitman, "Victor, were you listening to him? He has the same virus as Barnes had."

Victor looked back up from his watch and over at James as he said, "What's that? Oh, no. I wasn't listening."

James told him, "You have to let me go."

Victor replied, "Uh-huh."

James asked him, "Does Falcone know you're here?"

Victor said to him, "Wait. Wait." After a couple more seconds, he stood from the couch and stepped off of it as he took the magazine out of James's gun and emptied it of bullets after he said, "You're free to go, Jim. I'll keep this."

As he took the gun away from Victor, James said, "I don't understand."

Victor told him, "I was only supposed to keep you until the big hand was on the nine and the little hand..."

James said to him, "My mag... now."

Victor replied, "Sorry, Jim. But, hey, give the bride a kiss for me."

In response, James hit Victor in the face with his gun, which got Victor to let out a groan as he flew backwards and landed face-first onto the couch before James said to him, "I asked."

And just like that, he left an unconscious Victor Zsasz on the couch, while he quickly left Leslie's home and went to go and try to stop the wedding.

* * *

Leslie Thompkins was readying herself and talking with the bridesmaids for her wedding, only to stop and turn her head to see an exasperated James Gordon staring at her.

Once she saw him, she fully turned her head to face him and asked him, "Jim, what are you doing here?"

James asked her, "Are you okay?" When she didn't respond, he asked her, "Where's Mario?"

She told him, "He's out at the church. We're about to get married."

James said to her, "You can't marry him."

She sighed as she said to herself, "Oh, my God." Then she said to the bridesmaids, "Just give us a minute."

One of them said 'yeah' before they all left the room, while they eyed James.

It was only when they were gone that James started to walk towards Leslie and told her, "Listen to me, and I know how this is gonna sound..."

Leslie said to him, "You think that he has Alice Tetch's virus."

He stared at her with furrowed eyebrows as he said, "He told you."

She nodded her head as she told him, "Yes. And he told me that you had him arrested today, on our wedding day. And you had Lucius give him the test three times, and he passed. What's wrong with you?"

He told her, "He cheated the test, Lee. I don't know how, but he did. Tetch infected him that night in the hospital."

She sighed as she asked him, "You went to see Tetch, didn't you?"

He replied, "Yes."

She asked him, "Jim, don't you see? Tetch is planting ideas in your head."

James replied, "No."

She asked him, "Don't you remember? He's done this before."

With a shake of his head, he said to her, "No, this isn't like that."