Chapter 2

The drive to Crema lasted 3 hours but flew by fast. Palmer and I talked most of the time as the stress of the airport began to leave us.

"So what do you think we should do tomorrow?" asked Palmer.

"Honestly I think we should rest. I have a feeling the jet lag is gonna hit us pretty hard."

"Yeah especially since you like to sleep in till noon."

"Do not!" I said with a smile and slightly offended.

"Yes you do! Mom has to yell at you every morning 'cause you won't get your lazy ass up!"

"Well what can I say? I simply must have my beauty rest."

"I'm sorry what beauty? Can't see any sorry."

You're lucky you're driving the car or else I would have already knocked you out!" I hollered.

We laughed till we couldn't breathe and had tears streaming down our cheeks.

"I wish it was always like this," I said. It must have taken Palmer a while to think of what to say because I got no response for a while.

When he finally spoke the only thing he managed to say was, "Me too."

I knew there was something he wasn't telling me but I didn't want to push it. Besides we were here to unwind and have a good time. Maybe meet some new people, see new things, and take a break from the wild world at home.

An hour later we arrived in Crema. We rented a small apartment above one of the bookstores in town. It was the perfect location. I felt like I could see the whole square from the balcony and we had access to the roof. Not to mention the bookstore downstairs; it was perfect for my reading.

Once we got all our things into the apartment we realized we still had time to go out and do something. So, we got on our swimsuits and headed down to the bike shop to rent two bikes for Palmer and I. I remembered reading somewhere that Crema had incredible river beaches that were popular swim sites. We weaved our way through streets and alleys until we located a dirt road that started towards the river.

When we arrived we found several young people like ourselves as well as a few children and watchful parents on the shore. We threw our bikes near a tree in between the shore and the dirt road. I tossed my jean shorts and button down shirt on top of my bag and headed towards the water with Palmer tagging behind me.

After about 30 minutes of splashing we decided to rest on the shore.

"I'm so tired," I said yawning.

"Me too."

We began to bike home when I saw a large van with a few large, black cases in the trunk and several people in the back who seemed to be discussing something very important.

"What the hell?" I murmured to myself.

"Okay lets go," said Palmer when he finally caught up.

I shook the mysterious van out of my mind and hopped on the bike to begin home.

The apartment we were staying in had two bedrooms, a small kitchen and a small living area that led out to the balcony. Palmer and I each had our own bathroom and our rooms were each on opposite sides of the apartment. My room had one large window that looked out onto the plaza. The bed sat up against the window in order to make room feel more spacious. My pillow was on the side where there was only wall so I moved it to the side where the window was, that way it felt like I wasn't suffocating, besides, it was fun watching the sun set from the comfort of my bed.

After taking a shower I walked into the living room to find Palmer watching TV and drinking his left over Coke from the airport. I walked over to the fridge. Of course when I opened it, it was completely empty.

"Ugh, I totally forgot we have no groceries!"

"Oh no," said Palmer with little care.

"Would it be okay if we went to a coffee shop for breakfast in the morning so I don't have to go to the grocery store on an empty stomach?" I asked.

"Yeah that sounds great! I've always wanted to taste the Italian made cappuccinos. I have a feeling they're gonna be amazing!" said Palmer who was now paying more attention.

"Great! I'm going to bed now I don't want to be too exhausted tomorrow.

Before I went to bed that night I put all my clothes in the mahogany wardrobe and dresser, both had a dark stain that gave the place almost and old fashioned air to it. The chairs and bedframes were also made from the same kind of wood and stain. I had instantly fallen in love with this place. The last thing I remember thinking of before I went to sleep that night was my future.

Looking at the stars I thought, "Will I ever get to live this free again after this trip? Will I be content with the life I lead once this is all over?"