"It's ready, I'll shoot their communications and get your infiltrators inside."

His guard and tags dropped into his palm as he let them go. "You can wait by the ship for them. I'll have the Northern Wolf on lock somewhere on the route ready for the intercept." He headed past Evelyn's navigational array to leave the bridge behind. "I've got a couple things I need to sort out. Keep us on course."

"Of course, Cap'n."

Aaron shadowed him out of the bridge, and James cupped the infopod in the bridge of his fingers. I'm not free of you yet, am I? His fingers trembled, and he frowned when the infopod squeezed and threatened to break in his strength. He loosened his grip and allowed it space to breathe. Your half of the plan better work, Rayan. James stretched his shoulders to release the tension in his chest. But still... something isn't right. He stopped and faced Aaron, who echoed his motion. Thinly-veiled curiosity filled the Kestran grays.

"You mentioned you were part of Rayan's inner circle?"

"One of them."

"You work closely with him?"

"Yes." Aaron narrowed his eyes. "I do feel like I'm about to be interrogated."

James searched for any hint of his odd feeling, but Aaron tipped his head. "Nothing of the sort," he whispered and glanced down at the infopod. "He told me he couldn't help because he was busy, but turned around and offered his opinion on how to approach this operation when you brought it up to him. What is it he's so busy with? What are your people planning?" James waited for an answer, but when Aaron remained silent, he pressed on, "He mentioned Rekka, it's a planetary research facility, why would the Insurgents have anything to do with that place?"

"Seeto was looking for something."

"What was that?"

"A weapon to shake the core of the Sanctum," Aaron answered with no hesitation. "Until the Sanctum created their own." He stiffened. "Rayan Falae involves himself in a lot of things when it comes to our operations on Kestra. He moves information across the cities, with Odaport as the center. Him and another one of his inner circle create opportunities for those in the lower districts to ease their plights. He spreads his message far across our stars." He pointed at the infopod. "As for his plans, you're holding it. Rayan is about as open-book as people get... most of the time. It's almost upsetting."

James narrowed his eyes at the unheard words in space. "Why would that be?"

"Has he always worn his heart on his sleeve?"

"I don't know, it's been a long time, Lexin."

"He makes it sound like it's been no time at all, actually," Aaron admitted and shuffled past him. "He puts pressure on one of his inner circle with his... out of control tendencies." He switched on his heel with a sad smile. "He's been in this war for a very long time. I'd argue he never left it, but I suppose every man has his vice. He just does nothing to hide his."

A black hole collapsed in his heart. James breathed out a painful sigh. "Then, I suppose he has. His bad habits are recent, but it's not any of my business what he does to himself in his spare time." He led Aaron deeper into the Northern Wolf. "I'm disappointed in the fact he doesn't show some semblance of discipline to the people following his cause." He shook his head at the mental image it gave him. It's going to kick you hard when it catches up to you.

"We followed his passion," Aaron explained. "I doubt many rebels would follow someone apathetic. Of course, there's two extremes to that."

He stopped at the intersection between the weapon control and the freedom and warmth of the crewrooms. Blue lights hummed a deep song in his ears as he listened to the Northern Wolf's voice. "Another thing that hasn't changed." He motioned for Aaron to go ahead of him. "I need to have a chat with my team while you and my mechanic set up the disconnecter. You know how much time it'll give them to settle down?"