Chapter Four

Within an hour, I was dressed and ready when  Adewale comes. I was in the living room, watching a movie on TV when I heard the doorbell ring.

Mum left for a meeting and Dad was in his room, sleeping or reading an article online, one of these two.

The only person who visited our house was either my mum's colleagues and Adewale.

My parents never kept friends. They just had colleagues, I also don't have friends, I just have class mates.

So, I bet it's Adewale at the door. I rushed over to the door, not even bothering to peep through the hole or ask who was at the door. I unlocked the door and opened it.

But the face I saw there wasn't the one i expected. In fact, I was truly shocked.

Comfort! What the hell is she doing here?

"A good morning to you too!" She says

Oh, I said that aloud.

"Can I come in or what?" She asks, peeping to see my house behind my tall figure

"What are you doing here?" I ask her again because I don't see why she should be at my house. We aren't friends, my class mates all live nearby, but never has any of them stopped to come to my house, same goes,vice versa.

"I heard Jamb results are out. I was at the jamb center, and i passed your house, so I figured I could just stop by at your house to see you since you are always at home, so here i am."

"Did your head reset when i hit it or what?" I asked her honestly, but her face morphed into a frown

"Nothing happened to me. I was just checking up on you." She states

"If i say I am not surprised then i am truly lying, but thank you for having the least compassion to check up on your fellow class mate. I appreciate the effort." I tell her

"Alright, take care, I would see you at school, and by the way, if no one has told you. Your eyes are really beautiful. It's fascinating to look at them." She says that and walks away.

Before I form the words to say to her, she is already down the street.

That was the first time someone has complimented my eyes, except from Adewale. Now, Comfort. I don't understand why she is suddenly trying to talk to me, does she feel sorry for me? I don't want to be  pitied. I am not the only person on earth with dyslexia and blue eyes, so what's there to feel sorry about.

Or is she playing games with me?

Did Joshua set her up for this?

I remember that I didn't close the door and i shut it, locking it.

"Who was that pretty girl at the door?" I heard a voice behind me.

"Jesus!" I jumped, it was my cousin, Adewale.

"How the hell did you get in?" I asked him

"Easy peesy. Through the backyard, the fence was there and i literally jumped over it. Your dad is sleeping in his room, I checked that and affirmed it. And then, I came here to see you talking to a pretty girl who complimented your eyes. What went down these past years I have been away?" He asked

"Well, things have just been the way it was since like forever." I shrug

"You live a pretty boring life. Why don't you socialise with your peers, it'd do you more good than bad."

"I don't have "friends" bro." I state the obvious

He rolls his eyes "Of course I know you don't have friends you hermit" he sneers and we both laugh. "Good friends are hard to come by though, but i do hope when you find friends, you find good ones who support you for who you are." He pats my back

"Thanks for the motivation fam.
What can I get you?" I ask him, moving towards the kitchen

"Uhhh, you treat me like a guest" he groans way too loud

"That's just clearly manners. Or you preferred me to have said "I am eating rice, if you want to eat, you know your way around the house?"

"Yesss, if you have said that. I would have given you one thousand naira, but you blew your chances, you gentleman" He whistles, climbing the stairs to my room, "Put my share in the same plate as yours and meet me at your room, we have some cousin bonding up to do!"

"Okay, I'd be up in a sec.!" I take out a white ceramic plate, placing it on the sink, I bend down to take a tray inside the kitchen cabinet, I fill the plate with four spoonfuls of jollof rice, placing the ceramic plate onto the tray, I head for my room.