Chapter One

In Yoruba culture, the birth of a child with blue eyes might be considered unusual or unique, and the name given to such a child could reflect the community's reaction to this rarity. A name that reflects this societal response is "Ajani."

Ajani" is a Yoruba name that means "we thought we had lost this one." This name captures the sense of surprise or disbelief that could be associated with the birth of a child with blue eyes, especially in a culture where such occurrences are exceptional and may be perceived as unusual or even frowned upon.

I am Ajani Coaster. And this is my story.

In Nigeria, there is a belief in some cultural and traditional contexts that having blue eyes can be associated with superstition or negative beliefs, although it's important to note that these beliefs are not universal across all tribes or states.

"Ajani!" My mom calls me from where she was sat, in the living room.

I walk into the living room, wondering what she needed me to do.

I have never had a close relationship with my parents.
Honestly, I feel they think my mom should have probably gone ahead with an abortion so i wouldn't have to come into this world and be nothing but a disappointment to to them, to my family and to the world.

"Yes ma?" I asked, maintaining eye contact with her. Her eyes are normal, not like mine. I didn't carry any of her features, I don't look like her in any way. Her nose is narrow, mine is pointed.

"As you know this is your last year in secondary school and by next year, you would be leaving for college, if everything turns out well, I hope" I don't fail to notice the way she sighs after she says that last statement

"Yes ma, I am fully aware that this year marks the end of my journey in secondary school and the start of something in my life. Building a future for myself. I am preparing for my exams, I won't let you down even if you think i would, I am not doing it for you and dad alone. I am doing it to make myself proud."

"Keep quiet! I didn't ask you to start lecturing me. I didn't say you were letting us down, if you want to have that thought, go ahead, dwell in your delusions. All I want to say is that if you need any tutors to guide you to success in your exams, I and your dad would look into that."

"Thank you ma, I would think about the tutoring aspect, am I excused now?" I asked her, she hisses slightly and nods her head.

I offer her a forced smile and make my way back up to my room, flopping down on my bed to push my pillows up into my face to soak my tears.

I actually wish I had someone who believed in me. My parents were never religious, they didn't believe in God, I don't know what they believe in actually.

I on the other hand believe that there is God up above, a God who created the heaven and earth. A God who moulded me into a human.

A God who gave me this eyes that my culture sees as a curse.

I have never been a bright person, whenever i am taught in class, i tend to never assimilate the lessons taught, I have to go back home and read that particular topic for at least seven times before i can truly understand whatever was taught.

I decided that this year, i would draw more closer to God. I watch life stream clips of the ministeration of a man of God.

This year, I would prove to my parents and to my family that I am not the noneitiey they saw growing up, I would prove to them that having blue eyes isn't a curse, it's a uniqueness that they fail to realise and i wouldn't turn out how they all expected my life to be.