Chapter 4

The trip to London took less then a day. Charles hired a carriage despite Hortenses' protests.

The Earl sent his pardons, preferring to remain in the company of his mistress. then facing the Kings wrath for failing to do his duties. He sent word by a letter, Charles called him a 'coward'.

Nevertheless they set off with Hortense's new, rather large trunk. Charles rode on a fine white stallion whilst she was forced to ride in the carriage, because it was 'the lady thing to do'. She stared at Charles in jealousy the whole way. She felt trapped like a fly, in a fly trap, able to see everything but unable to get out.

The journey was not a complete bore, she was able to see the beautiful green fields, vivacious forests and peasants of England. Crows followed them the whole way, flying from tree to tree down the London road. Being a vampire, she did not have any food to give them - not even crumbs. As a child in France she loved to feed the chickens, the cows and goats, but that was another life - she didn't need to think about that. Too much heartbreak and pain, and stones. Too many stones.

"We have crows in the tower of London," Charles said when he noticed her interest in the bird.

"I thought the King sometimes took residence there," she replied "Why haven't they been shot down?"

"Because their immortal," he grinned patting his horse on the nose. "Like us."

"Did you turn them?" She teased, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

"Yes," he said matter of factually; "I call them the bloody birds of Britain. I turn one every time a King dies."

"And why would you do that?"

"I do it... Because well I think their spirit lives on," he answered dreamily, watching the crows. "I like to think that they remain and watch over England."

"Thats a very lovely thought," she said as he rode past her, still in a dreamlike state. What a weirdo she thought with a mean grin.

They turned a corner after seven hours, or that's what at least it felt like as the sun had gone down, and she caught her first glimpse of London.

She was saddened that the famous Thames was not visible, but having approached from the south that was inevitable Charles said. He promised to take her to see the river when she was settled. Although why she was so desperate to see it, he didn't understand. It was once beautiful, clean and clear, he could remember it well. But, but now it was dirty, filled with filth and feces and above all smelled terrible.

Hortense resigned herself to watching the 'dirty' city, as Charles had called it) grow closer and closer. She could now smell what Charles had described, it smelt worse then her birthplace and that was a as a human. Here her sense of smell was heightened and she could smell everything. She put a hand over her nose in disgust.

"That's the problem with being so old," Charles smirked. "Yes we can walk in the sun like the humans but, but we smell their crap even more," he grinned before riding on ahead again. "You will get used to it!" He called over his shoulder.

Charles returned after five minutes and spoke to the driver, before informing her that the King was at Windsor not the Tower.

The carriage was turned around in the direction of Windsor. Hortense was able to remove her hand as the stench of London slowly disappeared, being replaced with the smell of flowers and trees despite it being early autumn.

The road to Windsor was bustling with peasants, selling wares and going places, it was a hub of activity but they graciously moved when the carriage went past. They peered into the open windows curious as to whose inside. Hortense waved feeling foolish as only small children responded, the rest looked at her like a lunatic.