04 | LU GUANG

this is stupid.

wc: 0.8k
genre: fluff, enemies to more, gender neutral!reader
warnings: none

The hour is nearing midnight, an hour Lu Guang should definitely not be awake

The hour is nearing midnight, an hour Lu Guang should definitely not be awake. He sits on the kitchen counter, ignoring the cold that pricks up the material of his sweats as he stares at the landline and scratches his chin out of habit.

“Just give them a call, it’s not like anything would go wrong.”

He supposes Xiaoshi is right… for once. This is stupid. A call wouldn’t hurt, would it? Though, he thinks one with you might make him so tingly it’ll give him a cardiac arrest.

His tea has long been turned cold, given how long he’d been contemplating and staring at the phone. It was how he knew you liked; earl gray with warm milk and a spoon of honey. You’d told him that when you’d gone out— his roommates dragged him into it, really— for brunch with him and Xiaoshi and Qiao Ling. He likes to think you told him personally, but he knows not to get his hopes too high.

Lu Guang breathes slow, tickling the back of his hand he’d been covering over his mouth for a while now. He doesn’t know how long he’d been like this– he finds it ridiculous.

This is stupid.

He hops off the counter, the cold of the floor foreign to his feet.

This is very stupid.

He reaches for the landline, tracing a finger down the spine of the handset.

This is very, insanely, stupid.

Lu Guang lifts the phone into his palm and brings it up to his ear. Having left the handset, his fingers now settle to fiddle with the cord, twisting his forefinger into each coil.

This is stupid, but he supposes it’s too late to back out now.

Lu Guang dials your number into the landline, head void of thoughts, throat void of sound. Each tone after he presses the corresponding numbers ring in his ear through the handset.

It rings once. Twice. Thrice. A beeping sound follows, then silence.

Of course, what had he expected-

“Hello?” Your voice is quiet, hushed into a groggy whisper. The boy nearly jumps. Hand clawing to the material of his shirt, Lu Guang can’t help but pause to render the fact that you, the one person who valued sleep more than everyone— even Xiaoshi— had woken up to pick up his call.

“…Hello? Who is this?”

Of course you hadn’t an idea who called. He used the apartment landline, for crying out loud! “Oh, um, I didn’t think you’d pick up.” A short but evident hum emits, “What brings you to my calling, Lu Guang? Doth thy require my aid at such an ungodly hour?”

As stupid as you sound, Lu Guang can’t help but find you cute, clearing his throat with tinted cheeks. “Did I wake you? Sorry,”

“No, actually, I was working on my paper. It seems great minds are restless at midnight.” You jest, and he assumes you’re settled back into bed hearing the sounds of sheets shuffling. He laughs a little, “It seems we do.”

“So, what’s up? What’s the occasion?”

“Oh, I couldn’t sleep, is all. Thought you’d help a little, you never fail to bore me anyway.” Teases Lu Guang with the smallest playful tone. The hour is much too late to think straight. “Oh? Lu Guang and jests? Who are you, foe?”

“Sorry, just really tired. ’m probably not thinking straight right now.”

“No need to apologize. I like it when you kid. Shows you’re at least a bit human.” Your word plants a small smile across the boy’s lips and he can’t help it, but he doesn’t mind at this point.

“Could you… could you talk? I just need a little noise right now.” Asks Lu Guang. His fingers pull at the cord in a timid manner, probably a tad embarrassed of the request. “I completely respect if you wouldn’t be up to it, though, I’m just being stupi-”

“You aren’t stupid, Lu Guang. Trust me when I tell you that you’re one of the most cunning and intelligent people I’ve known. Ever.”

Lu Guang, stunned, stays silent, the only sign of his presence for you to comprehend being his breathing into the phone. Laying your palm flat out against the skin of your forehead, you seethe, “Sorry, that, uh, came out of nowhere. ”

There isn’t a doubt in Lu Guang’s being when he thinks you’re blushing just as much as he is right now, and he grins a little at the thought of your blood-rushed face pressed into a pillow.

“You want me to talk?”

“Yeah, please.”

“Okay, mmm, I’ll tell you about the fat cat I found some blocks away from campus. I was walking home that day, I distinctly remember it being a really cold and windy day, but I still wanted to have some boba.”

Though Lu Guang didn’t earn that much sleep that night, he’d learned a lot more about you. Sure, the whole thing was stupid, from calling his supposed campus rival at midnight to actually conversing about things you both genuinely enjoy until the sun had greeted him through the window, but at least he was doing something stupid with you.