02 | LU GUANG

"terrifying?" "terrifying."

wc: 0.8k words
genre: fluff, friends to lovers, gn!reader
warnings: none!

Lu Guang takes a moment to pause his reading and revel the feeling of your fingers in his hair

Lu Guang takes a moment to pause his reading and revel the feeling of your fingers in his hair. They tug and twirl and braid his white strands, though you're never too rough which he appreciates.

A small laugh escapes your lips when you finish a fifth braid, leaning back on the bean bag you share with him as you observe your work. "What?" Asks Guang, leaning back to look at you. "do I look that ridiculous?"

"Yes, you look that ridiculous."

There's a foreign feeling that you ignite in him that makes him want to purse his lips and run away, yet he also yearns for more of your attention and for your fingers to explore more of his hair and skin and face. He'd always admired how comforting you could be and how you always knew your way with words. You never talk with uncertainty and most definitely don't think with so, too.

Or maybe he found everything you did calming in a reassuring way. There's no denying that swell in his chest he'd used to hate is now something all too familiar whenever he'd spent time with you.

It's until you blow on his face when he realizes he's been watching you. "What style do you want me to do now?" Your voice is quiet when you ask him, and again he's sighing when you untangle the braids in his hair with gentle intent.

"I dunno," Answers Guang in a mumble, resuming to where he carried off in his book. "anything is fine, just don't mess it up too much." And you jest in return, "Hmm? Are you enjoying this, Lu Guang?"

In a quiet panic, he coughs, "This is the most peace I've had recently, especially with Cheng Xiaoshi around." There's a small and stupid thing called pride in his chest when you laugh at what he'd said, and he suddenly wants to shrink and burn with this burning, wild feeling you give him.

Lu Guang doesn't want to think he loves you, but he does. He knows he does. And he thinks he's so sure of his feelings until he's melting when you braid his hair and hum a small tune, chest beating painfully rapid, but it's a good pain.

"So, what book are you reading? Is it any good?"

Guang doesn't know how to answer you because frankly, this book is the last of his concerns right now. He'd been so caught up in you and what you say or what you do with his hair to even try focus reading.

"'A Little History of the World.'" He quotes as he runs a finger down the spine of the book. "It's thrifted, found it a little while ago while I was going through a flea market."

"That's cool," Your tone is laced with interest as you peer over his shoulder to check out said book. "mind if I read it sometime?" And Guang is hit with a brilliant idea:

"I could read it to you, now."

"Sure, I like listening to your voice."

At the time– that being a split 2 seconds after he'd given the suggestion– it seemed like a genius idea, but after hearing what you'd said about liking his voice, he doesn't think he could possibly read to you. Not without a bashful smile.

But he reads nonetheless, he recites word after word, becoming seemingly immersed in it after a page of reading about the the Greeks and their grand wars with the persians, and about Mars being the planet of war and Venus, love. He reads and bounces on his heel and fidgets with the corner of the page as you listen well, mindlessly playing with his hair.

You do wish you had flowers because oh how nice they'd look in his hair. You have the strange idea of making a flower crown in this secluded area of the library you hang out in and give it to Guang, like a crown to throne him with.

You hadn't realized Guang had stopped reading to lean back and look at you again, and when you do you tilt your head and ask him what's wrong.

"I think I'm in love with you."

Truth be told, these were the last words you'd expected Lu Guang say to you, but for some reason you're calmed by the fact that he thinks so. It's quiet, but not a suffocating quiet because you look at him with eyes just as soft.

"Wait, no, scratch that." Your heart drops. "Hm?"

"I am in love with you." Guang says his words with such confidence it gives you shivers, warm shivers that you don't mind because you enjoy it. "You are?"

"I'm in love with you. It's as simple and as terrifying at that."

"Terrifying?"

"Terrifying."

You don't know why, but you smile at his choice of words. "Well, Lu Guang, I think I'm in love with you too. And I'll show you how un-terrifying it is, you'll just have to trust me."