01 | CHENG XIAOSHI

i'd live for you.

wc: 0.6k words
genre: fluff, established relationship, gn!reader
warnings: none!

Cheng Xiaoshi finds your lap oddly comfortable, and he finds it even more endearing that even when he'd mentioned he was clammy and sweaty (especially after having finished up a game with Luguang), you persisted for him to accompany you on your la...

Cheng Xiaoshi finds your lap oddly comfortable, and he finds it even more endearing that even when he'd mentioned he was clammy and sweaty (especially after having finished up a game with Luguang), you persisted for him to accompany you on your lap as you finally finished reading the last bit of your poetry book.

He stares up with pursed lips, relishing the way you rest your book on his chest, tapping an odd rhythm and playing with the material of his jacket as you read with eager.

Xiaoshi traces the edge of clouds with a finger pointed up at the sky, taking note of how absurdly fast the world moves when you really look up.

There's a sudden groan that you emit, and you bend down to bury your face into the book.

"D'you finish the book?" Asks Xiaoshi as he sets his hand back down to his side. The longer, more annoyed groan you let out again amuses the boy. "What? Was it that bad?" He jests.

"No," You say. "it was amazing." Your voice is muffled because you're still pressing your face against the pages of the book. Xiaoshi's brow twitches up as he takes the book, leaving your face to mush against his shirt instead.

It's silent for a moment as he reads the few final sentences written.

"Well, how romantic." He coos. "He died for her." Quiet, your cheek slides against his clothes as you face him. Discarding your book, he stares back at you just as intent.

"I find it more romantic if someone lives for you." Sighing, the cement suddenly feels cold against the back of your legs and you sit up, an embarrassed tinge of tint gracing your skin. It grows redder when the boy who rests his head on your lap laughs.

"Oh, Y/N." He chuckles. Red-faced, you pick the book up and shove it into his face, earning more giddy laughs. "Cheng Xiaoshi, please stop laughing." You plead.

"Okay, sorry." Although he does stop his humoring, you know very well he's masking a smile under the book you shove into his face.

"Just how stupid do you have to be to poison yourself? Saying it was enough proof of his love, but he didn't have to legit do it! You wasted a literal lifetime with her just so you could prove you'd die for her. We got the message when you'd fought for her despite the disapproval!" You're suddenly ranting, thrashing your arms here and there. "And she's really crying? Because of his death? You're the one who asked if he'd die for you! What did you expect when you saw the vial in his hand?!"

"I'd live for you, I hope you know that." Xiaoshi's words are sudden and they hit you with such emotion and shock, the breath is knocked out of you-- as if the whole lecture about dying for another didn't strain the air out of you enough-- and you're left to stare at him.

There are no traces of jest or lies behind his eyes. Just an emotion you'd never seen him wear before.

"I..." You trail off. "-I know you would."

Xiaoshi yelps when you poke his side, rolling off your lap to brace himself. Your laugh is uncontainable-- especially after watching his reaction-- and you fold over to clench your stomach.

"That is not fair!" Like a child, he whines and slouches his back. "I just professed my love to you and you harass me?!"

"I'd live for you too, Xiaoshi, calm your tits."

It's ridiculous how fast Xiaoshi's mood can change just by hearing you say his name. You want to smack that little mischievous smile off his face and hug him and tell him that you'd live countless lifetimes for him, because you know he would live more for you.