2. far from home

Haruto was fucked. 

He was currently in a gas station, back in his human form, staring at the mini TV they had hanging in the corner. His face was plastered across the news channel, apparently his foster family had put in a missing child report. Those bastards.

"The child has a violent history so please be cautious when approaching him. If you see him or have any leads, please contact your local authorities," the news broadcaster said. Violent. It wasn't the first time he had heard someone call him that, but it still took him by suprise.

Thankfully he had been smart enough to wear a hoodie, so he pulled it as far over his face as possible and kept his head down. He found a few dollars in his pants pocket, hence why he was at the gas station to begin with. He quickly grabbed a muffin and quickly made his way up to the counter. 

"Just this?" the lady behind the counter asked, smacking her gum loudly.

Haruto just nodded as a response.

"Hey, you kinda look like the kid on TV," the lady leaned forward, trying to peak under his hood. "You're a bit far from home, aren't you?"

Haruto almost froze but pushed past it. He couldn't get caught. Not here. Not yet. Deepening his voice a bit, he said, "Sorry but that's not me. I live with my mom just down the street.

The lady didn't seem convinced, but she took his money and he left.

He wasn't quite sure what to do, but he knew he couldn't just sit around in broad daylight. Not when his face was plastered across the news. He wouldn't let himself be taken back. He decided to go back to his alley back in the mean time. Hopefully he'd be somewhat safer there until he could return back to his fox form.

You see, he couldn't be a fox forever. There was a time limit. He even had to wait to turn back. 

♡♡♡

"I have a favor to ask of you," was the first thing Aizawa heard from Tsukauchi when he answered his phone. 

"What ever happened to hellos," Aizawa muttered into the phone.

"We just got a tip from a local gas station that the missing foster kid just popped into their store. I was wondering if you could keep an eye out for him on your patrols?" Tsukauchi asked, ignoring Aizawa's comment. 

Aizawa sighed and rubbed his hand over his face.

"Do we know anything about his quirk or am I going in blind," Aizawa sighed, he had enough problem children to deal with but he couldn't let the kid be out on the streets alone. 

"His quirk, suspiciously, was never registered but I can send you his file," the detective offered.

Aizawa agreed and hung up. Shortly after the call, he got Sasaki Haruto's file in his email. He face scrunched up in confusion. The things in the kids file was concerning to say the least. 

♡♡♡

Going back to the alley he deemed was his was not the best decision Haruto had made thus far. Though it wasn't like he had made many good decisions recently.

It was swarming with police, who had two people in handcuffs. He was curious as to what happened but it wasn't like he could just go up and ask him. 'Hey, its me, kid from the news. Could I possibly know what happened?' Yeah, that would go well.

Haruto quickly slipped away from the alleyway, and made sure his hood covered his face before continuing to walk down the street. He wasn't sure where he was heading, hell he still didn't even know where he was. He hadn't completely decided whether running away was a good thing or not. On one hand, at least he had a bed there but on the other hand, he's probably be just as hungry there as he was now. His foster mom liked to use food as a punishment so Haruto went hungry many nights.

As he got lost in his thoughts, he subconsciously ate his muffin he bought earlier. It was far from being enough, but at least it'd keep him alive for now. 

Alive. It'd been a very long time since he'd actually felt that way. When everyone calls you a monster, you definitely start feeling like one. 

Haruto was quite literally dragged out of his thoughts, right into an alleyway. Why, of all places, were alleys the source of his problems today? He didn't get a good look at who pulled him in before being slammed into the ground. Whoever it was put their foot on his back to keep him from getting up.

"We're gonna eat great tonight with the money we get from catching this brat," a low, raspy voice said. He couldn't move his head enough to see who it was but from the direction it came, he concluded it was the person standing on him. God, why was his foot so heavy. Haruto's head was pounding and he could barely focus on anything but the rocks digging into face. 

Another foot collided with his side, he could hear them talking but couldn't process what they were saying. Every bone in his body ached and his eyes were beginning to unfocus. He squeezed them tightly and tried to pass out.

Suddenly everything was warm. He managed to partially opened his eyes to see bright blue flames flickering around him. He could also hear screaming, but it sounded so far away. Before he could question what was happening, he blacked out.  

Oof, i finally feel like i'm getting somewhere

Oof, i finally feel like i'm getting somewhere. I'm loving writing this but i can't wait to get to the next chapter. sighs, i can't rush things tho.

anyway interaction question: pancakes or waffles?

i'm more of a french toast guy myself