001 - i'm okay

001 - i'm okay

"Chief Boden?" Dilan asked, as she walked into the man's office. "Yes?" He responded looking up from the paper in his hands, a large smile engulfing his face at the sight of the woman in front of him. "Dilan!" He beamed, dropping the papers on his desk and standing, opening his arms, inviting the girl into an embrace. "How are you?" He questioned, the brunette nodding against his chest while they hugged. "Yeah, good. Dawson asked me to fill in today, wasn't feeling well." She smiled, the Chief nodding in understanding. "And honestly? She probably needs a break also, everything with Antonio would've taken a lot out of her." Dilan grimaced, thinking about the stress she endured with one of her own brothers, understanding the toll family takes on you.

"Do you know how he's doing?" Boden asked. Dilan nodded. "Yes, I spoke to Calypso this morning. She's been working in intelligence with my brother Dean, you remember him?" Boden bowed his head in acknowledgment. "Finest police officer I've had the pleasure of knowing." Boden complimented one of the many Shields siblings. "Antonio has also been working with them obviously and Caly went to go see him yesterday. Said he's looking a lot better." Dilan smiled happily. "I think he'll be just fine. Just needed a little support."

"You'll be working with Leslie Shay, 51's other paramedic. I'll introduce you to her, come on." Boden opens the door to his office, the pair exiting and making their way into the common room. Boden clearing his throat to get the attention of the room. Instantly, mostly everyone in the room's faces lit up with a smile. "Everyone, listen up. For those of you that don't know, this is Dilan Shields. The paramedic who'll be stepping in for Dawson while she's out sick this week. Although Dilan has never worked in 51 before, many of you will know her and have seen her around here. For the ones who don't know, Dilan's older brother Brax used to serve here before he transferred. Some of you may have coordinated with Dean Shields in intelligence before, also one of Dilan's brothers. So please, make her feel welcome." With that Boden exited the common room, allowing most of the firefighters in the room to stand and embrace the young woman.

"Dil!" Kelly Severide called out, making his way over to the brunette, pulling her into his outstretched arms. "Shay, this is Dilan Shields. Dilan, this is my best friend, Shay." Kelly introduced the brunette to the most stunning blonde woman, who at that moment had a large smile extending across her face. "Hey, I've heard so many stories from Kelly about you guys when you were younger." Shay shoves Kelly out of the way to hug the brunette woman, who scowls in Kelly's direction. "I'm sure you've worked out by now every word that comes out of a Severide is a blatant lie. So unless he said I was the only one who'd be nice to him because i pitied him and that I saved his ass when we were younger - he's lying." Dilan joked, Kelly raising his hand to his heart, feigning pain, to which, both girls rolled their eyes.

Next up to hug the girl were Mouch and Herrmann, sandwiching the brunette who giggled at the men she regarded as father figures in her life. Following up were Otis, Cruz and Capp. Last to approach the girl was Matt Casey. One of the two lieutenants in house - Kelly being the other. Dilan had always had feelings for the blonde lieutenant, since the day she had met him. Instantly falling for his 'boy next door' charm and gorgeous smile. A soft smile grazed Dilan's face as the blonde man pulled her into a hug, unlike the others, his arms rested on her waist, the brunette taking the opportunity, wrapped her arms around the lieutenant's neck. They breathed softly as the two held each other, releasing after a quiet moment.

"Hey, Dil." Matt whispered in her ear as he pulled away. "Hey, Casey." She beamed back, a devilish twinkle sparkling in her eye, a joking frown creased Matt's forehead. "Why do you use everyone else's first name, but mine?" Matt questioned, pouting. "Why do you care?" Dilan sing-songed, a smirk overtaking her face, as the alarm went off inside the firehouse, indicating an emergency. "Truck 81, Squad 3, Engine 51, Ambulance 61. Building fire."

-

Shay and Dilan walked over to Boden after hopping out of the ambulance, just as a blonde woman hurried over to Boden. "My mother's on the fourth floor. Says her chest is hurting." The woman rushed out. "Where?" The firehouse chief questioned, the blonde woman pointing to the building next to the one currently on fire. "We'll get her." Dilan informed. "Go." Boden pressed to remind the importance of the situation. Dilan looked back at Shay as the two made their way into the building. The duo climbed the stairs to the fourth floor, finding the woman unconscious at the top of the stairway. The pair quickly moving into action.

"Shay, Shields get out of there. Evacuate the building right now." The brunette heard Boden's order over the radio. A gasp of panic escaping her, as the once calm stairway behind them became enveloped in flames. "Pull her in, pull her in!" Dilan shouted as the pair began moving the unconscious woman into the room next to them, closing the door behind them. Dilan quickly moved to the open window, looking out as she keyed her radio. "Hey, Chief." She greeted. "No way we're going down the stairs we came up. Fourth floor." She informed the Chief, awaiting his response.

"Hang tight, we're coming." He responded. Dilan's eyes casting down to Severide and Casey a floor below her in the building opposite. "We've got an incapacitated woman on a stair chair. She can't move." Dilan made the firefighters aware of the situation she was currently in. As the situation worsened, Casey and Severide approached the window with a ladder. "Come to the window." Casey called out. "We'll get you." Severide finished. They passed the ladder through the window directly opposite to Dilan's current position, the brunette reaching out and grabbing the ladder. Casey then crawled across the ladder, dragging a hose with him, when he reached the window, Dilan helped pull him in and pulled excess hose. He turned the hose on and began fighting the fire as Severide climbed through the window, Dilan helping him also.

"Shields." Severide caught the brunette's attention. "You're up." He spoke to her, indicating she was first across the ladder. Taking a deep breath, she grabbed onto the ladder, slowly crawling across, breathing softly as she did. Otis and Mills - 51's new candidate - were waiting on the other side, grabbing a hold of the brunette and helping her through. "Okay, nice and easy, Shay." Severide encouraged as the blonde woman crawled across next. "Tie her to the line!" A rope was thrown from the building with the extinguished fire, to the building with the live fire.

"Here comes the victim, keep the slack out of the line." Severide ordered as the patient was pulled by Otis and Mills, Severide crawling behind slowly. Leaving only Casey in the second building. "Casey, move! Now!" Severide called out. "Come on, Casey!" Dilan also shouted, her heart beating out of her chest as she waited to see the blonde out of harm's way. "Comin'!" Casey called back as he began to crawl on the ladder also. In a split second, the bricks on which the ladder was leaning had gives way, the ladder clattering to the ground, Casey hitting the bricks with a thud as he held onto the hose for dear life. "Casey!" Dilan called out, as she and Severide hung out the window, trying to grab ahold of him. "Shields, move! Otis! Mills! Pull!" Severide ordered as the three men began to pull the blonde back in through the window.

Successfully pulling him through, the blonde's feet hit the ground, he removed his hard hat, Dilan taking a deep breath in, staring at the blonde, relief flooding her system. "I'm okay." He reassured looking directly at the brunette. "Okay, everybody out now!" Boden demanded over the radio. Shields and Shay made their way out of the building, loading their patient into the back of the ambulance. "You two okay?" Chief Boden approached the pair. "A little well done, but we're alright, Chief." Shay assured the man as Dilan hopped in the ambulance with the patient. "Here hop on." The brunette helped the woman's daughter into the ambulance as the vehicle prepared to drive away.

-

chapter 1 completeeeeeeee!

how do we feel about dilan, and her friendship with everyone?

let me know your thoughts! x