Chapter 14: Sojourn to Wave

Its Naruto's first time to ever leave the village and to be quite frank, he was sorely disappointed. There was nothing to see except trees, lots and lots of trees. At first, he was quite excited to exit the Western Gate of Konoha with the rest of Team 7 and 8, however, after a few miles of walking, the sight of huge trees left more to be desired.

Naruto was bored as hell as they traversed through the visible path towards Wave Country with their client. After the momentary excitement has passed, his mind clicked back to the mission at hand. True, this was a simple escort mission but the gut feeling he has been having since he met Tazuna was bothering him. After all his years of experience running from the mobs of Konoha, not following his gut feeling was hazardous to one's health...especially his.

His eyes strayed to his current teammates as they trudged through the dusty path. It hasn't rained for quite a while so the road was not hampered with mud or puddles. Up ahead, Hinata and Kiba was busy talking to each other as they walked. He noticed that Hinata was activating her Byakugan from time to time to check out the path ahead. Kiba, along with Akamaru on his head was sniffing the air to detect if there were unnatural scents that are mostly related to hidden attackers.

Next on his vision were Shino and Sakura in the middle of the defensive group. Sakura was still the same, no change there. He shook his head thinking about their past conversation in Training Ground 7. She was definitely a talented Kunoichi of the Leaf but her current mental state has hampered her improvement in the Shinobi Arts to an almost zero. If she doesn't correct herself soon then she would find herself in a compromising position that would easily end her life.

Shino, on the other hand, was the epitome of Shinobi stoicism. In all his age group, only Shino is able to hide his emotions with such intensity that it was scary. But don't let his seeming inattentiveness fool you, the eyes behind those dark glasses see a lot and the addition of the Aburame Logic makes him a deadly Shinobi. One thing that interested Naruto with the teen is his family's connection with insects. He found some reference in his Clan's Library about the secretive Aburames but not enough to give him a complete description.

After his brief glance of the insect user, he was able to spot the brooding Sasuke on the far right of the defensive position. He was confused with the dark-haired teen. True, his family and clan was murdered in front of his eyes by his very own brother, but it shouldn't spur him to the point of destroying his humanity and change it to a monster that craved for only power for the sake of revenge. He tried, oh he definitely tried to change the Uchiha but it seems that whatever he said fell on deaf ears. He shrugged his shoulders and let his thoughts stray to the two Jounin that comprised the back of the group.

Hatake Kakashi, a man that confused Naruto to no ends. What happened to the happy-go-lucky Dog that he knew when he was still in ANBU? Why did he suddenly deviate from his chosen code and dropped the bomb called favoritism for the Uchiha. It was a mystery that he intended to find out.

Last, definitely not the least, is the very mysterious Yuuhi Kurenai, the Genjutsu Mistress of Konohagakure no Sato. Among the Jounins of Konoha, she was the weakest in terms of Taijutsu and Ninjutsu, but her Genjutsu skills was on par with the Kurama Clan that is well known for the bloodline of turning illusions into reality. To put it simply, her skills can be summarized to letting you see something else then you die. He was intrigued of her skills and wanted to ask her for some advice but he knew when there is something that no amount of study and hardwork can he ever hope to compete. Kyuubi's chakra is simply too potent for him to make use of illusions.

He was brought out of his thoughts by a shout from Hinata. When he came back to reality, he sensed something behind him and looked back. He saw two figures jump out of the puddle that he didn't notice earlier and wrapped their senseis tightly in chains that is connected to both of their claw-like metallic arms, linking them together.