eight

"She hates me," said Lily.

"She doesn't hate you," exasperated Ivory.

"She hates me," repeated Lily.

"Well, you did freeze," said Sirius.

Ivory cast him a dirty look. "Sirius, this is serious!"

"Funny one, sweetheart," he said with a lopsided grin.

Ivory rolled her eyes, and the two began to bicker with each other. Azalea sighed and grabbed James' hand, tugging him and her closer to Lily.

"Lily, darling," said Azalea, "she may be hurting, but she does not hate you. The fact that she's hurting is more reason for you to go to her and talk things out."

"I froze," said Lily. "I couldn't think of what to say. I don't even know what to say now and it's been hours since she walked away from me."

Azalea and James glanced at each other. They had never seen Lily this sad before, or sad at all. She was a bull-headed girl who never stood down from a fight and sadness was not an emotion she had in her heart.

"How many times have you watched me walk away from James? How many times have I insulted him?" Azalea questioned.

"You still do that," he retorted.

"James, sod off. This is about Lily." Azalea cleared her throat. "What I meant to say before James interrupted me is that talking to her will make things better. If not for you, then for her. Do you want her to go the rest of her life, believing that her first friend is terrified of her? If you truly like her - truly love her, even - then you'll tell her truth."

"What's the truth?" Lily questioned.

Azalea softly smiled and placed her hand on Lily's forearm. "That you care for her."

"Quite wise," interrupted Remus. "I don't even have anything left to say to that."

"For once, the mighty Moony has nothing to say!" Sirius exclaimed.

"And the moment's ruined," said Ivory. "Sirius, for the love of - "

"Our love? Our wonderful love life?" he interrupted. "Yes, I know. It's very wonderful."

"Padfoot, seriously?" Remus exasperated.

"Sirius-ly, indeed," he retorted.

Everyone in the room groaned. Lily cracked a smile as the boys began to bicker with each other about how to make her feel better.

The girls saw Lily's smile and smiled at each other before approaching her and engaging in a group hug.

"We wish you the best of luck," said Azalea.

"I'm sure all will be fine," said Dawn, giving Lily a reassuring squeeze.

Lily let out a smooth breath of air through her lips. "Yes, I'm - I'm sure you girls are right."

"We usually always are," said Ivory. "Now why don't you go find her and tell her how you feel?"

"I don't exactly know where she is," said Lily, perplexed.

"I don't mean to insult you in any way, but if you truly love her, you'd tear down this entire castle to find her," said Dawn, softly.

Lily pursed her lips and nodded. "I've never experienced love, but you're right, Dawn. The feelings I have for her are like no other. Thank you, girls. Tell the boys thank you as well once they stop bickering."

The girls released Lily from the group hug and smiled at her before ushering her out of the room.