Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

Instead of a kind reprimand, her mother uttered a soft laugh. "You are really like your father."

Bethany snuck a peak at him, to see his response to such a statement and found him grinning. "That you definitely are. I see so much of myself in you."

Bethany allowed her emotions to get the best of her, rushing over to him she threw herself in a hug. Overcome with joy, she couldn't resist. He wrapped his arms around her. Tears pricked at her eyes, she burrowed into his shoulder and let the love overwhelm her.

This was her father. The one she dreamed and wondered about. She knew him all along. It was no wonder they so easily joked with each other and laughed.

He whispered into her hair, "I always loved you. Even if it had to be from afar. From now on you will be near and dear to me." He pulled away, and nudged her to sit next to him. "I will make a formal pronouncement declaring you are my daughter to the whole kingdom. How does that sound?"

Bethany was stunned beyond words. "Really?" She breathed out. "But I'm an illegitimate daughter, they won't receive me."

"I am the King, I will make the rules and change them as I see fit. In fact there is something I had written up a long time ago that I wanted to give to you." He gave her a royal scroll with a seal on it. Unrolling it she read it.

"What does this mean?" Her father looked between her mother and her.

"It means that you will be from now officially known as Princess Bethany Of Iris. And when time comes, you will get a parcel of land on which a castle will be built for you. Though I'm sure that won't be necessary, for you will be living here. After all, being married to a king you will have to abide in his castle."

Bethany uttered a single humorless laugh. "Yeah right." She shut her mouth. "I'm sorry your maj-"

"Please, refer to me as your father."

"Sorry father, I can't get used to it."

His emerald eyes sparkled as he gleamed with joy. "I cannot wait to let the kingdom know." He said and then pulled her in once more into a hug. "Don't be afraid to call me father, and if you or your mother need anything, don't hesitate to ask. I already took care that your mother has a home made here in the countryside closer to you."

She stayed that way, in her fathers embrace, letting all the lovely new information flood her heart. Nothing could wake her out of this lovely dream.

Prince Ronald POV:

He wound up at the bottom of the staircase only to find a cluster of servants, whispering in hushed tones.

To find him in their quarters once more, they straightened and stopped their whispering.

"Your majesty," they curtsied. "Is there something you need?"

"No." he looked past them hoping to catch a glimpse of Bethany. Disappointment flooded him when he couldn't see her. "What are you whispering about anyways?"

A servant looked to her fellow friend, as if contemplating whether or not she should spill the secret, and then with a nod, she filled Ronald in.

"As it seems, it has become common for royalty to grace the servants quarters. It's unbelievable really. Today King Fredrick came waltzing in here, asking to speak to the head chef!"

Ronalds eyebrows knit together. What was the King of Iris doing here? Needing to talk with Bethany's mother? Was it about the fact that Bethany was found and he wanted to personally let her know?

"I appreciate you confiding in me, but I must ask, have you seen Bethany down here? I assumed she's back?"

The servant who's name Ronald couldn't recall, but Bethany had falling out with, came forward to speak, "She did indeed come back, we are not sure for how long. I'm sure she will be long on her way in no time." The girl scoffed, and looked to her friends for support.

Ronald sensed the hatred for Bethany. He was about to tell her she would be staying indefinitely as his future wife and queen, but decided he wouldn't waste his time on such frivolous matters.

"Thank you. Where would she be?"

"She was headed towards our common hall." Another servant chimed in. Ronald thanked her graciously, and started off in that direction.

Before the group of ladies were out of earshot, he heard the one that hated Bethany, say, "What does he want with her anyways? I never understood what he saw in her."

Another one answered her, but Ronald didn't care to stay and hear the response. He was already out of earshot. He rounded the corner and came to the threshold of the common hall, and found a most surprising sight.

King Fredrick and Bethany embracing. With her mother not too far off, gleaming with joy.