Prologue: The death Cure

Piper and the other Immunes were currently being transferred to yet another location

Piper and the other Immunes were currently being transferred to yet another location. She looked around, trying to find Minho in the crowd of teenagers, but being unable to find him, he must have been in another card. 

She frowned at the sound of a car riding next to the train, she looked around again, trying to find the source of the sound but being unable to do so, as there were no windows in the train card. She did however see multiple feet on top of the train card as there were small windows on the roofs. Than more gunshots and small gasps from the teens around her. It went on for quite a long time before the train suddenly halted, all teenagers jerking forward as the metal cables on their arms and hands held them in place. 

A whistle came from outside as it became quiet again, then banging on the sides of the card. ''Minho! Piper!'' That voice, Thomas. All teenagers around her began to scream for attention. She could hear the sound of something cutting into metal as she sat there, trying to find any source of light except for the ceiling. 

Loud sounds came from above her as she could hear Thomas' voice from above before the gunfire began. ''Newt, get up here!'' Her eyes widened, now she knew for a fact it were her friends coming to rescue them. 

More and more gunshots were fired from, what seemed like, both sides. She kept her head down when she suddenly jerked forward again, the feeling of being lifted into the air made her feel nauseous. She wanted to cheer in joy when she heard cheers from above her, than she realized something. Minho was still in the hands of WICKED. 

The travel towards the end destination was quiet, nobody dared to say a word, scared that it would be WICKED instead of people to rescue them. Practically as soon as they landed, the door was cut open and Thomas, Newt and Harriet rushed in. Her eyes widened as Thomas rushed to Aris and Sonya while Newt's eyes landed on her. ''Piper!'' He shoved past Thomas, quickly hurrying to the girl as he crouched down. ''Are you alright? Just nod if you need to.'' 

She was silent for a while before licking her lips. ''There is no need to nod Newt ... ''  His eyes widened as he stared at the girl. ''I can talk now.'' He looked around as Thomas too stared at the girl, ''we're gonna get you out of here, alright?'' She nodded as Thomas realized she was in the last row. ''Minho ... he isn't here.'' 

As soon as her arms were loose, she jumped into Newt's arms, holding onto him tightly as she cried into his shoulder. ''Hey, hey, it's alright, you're safe.'' He held her in place as she sobbed, softly whispering Minho's name over and over again. 

Soon after, Sonya, Aris, Harriet, Newt, Thomas, Piper and Brenda all sat in a room, the three that had just been rescued from WICKED sitting next to each other when Harriet gave each of them some water. 

''Here, drink this.'' Piper took it from her eagerly, chucking it down as Aris chuckled. ''Took you guys long enough to rescue us.''

''It's good to see you, too, bud.''

''So what happened?'' Thomas questioned, nodding to Aris' beat up state. ''I fought back. Tried to, anyway.'' Sonya nodded as she went on. ''You're lucky you found us at all. They had us on the move a lot. It felt like something big was happening.''

''Any idea where they were heading?''

''They kept talking about some city.'' All heads turned to Piper as Harriet turned to her. ''I didn't think there were any cities left.''

''That's because there aren't.'' Brenda answered for her, her arms crossed over each other. ''Not still standing, anyway.''

''Okay, wait. What about Minho?'' At the mention of the name, Piper had to swallow away tears, Newt quickly grabbing her hand in comfort. ''Why wasn't he on the train?'' Piper chocked back a sob as she rubbed her sleeve under her nose. ''He was, just in another card.'' 

The three other Gladers sat opposite of Piper as they looked at the girl. ''So ... what happened to you?'' She gave a soft chuckle as she looked at the three boys in front of her. ''How can you suddenly talk?'' 

She fidgeted with her hands before rubbing her throat. ''Well, turns out, WICKED decided they'd had enough of my big mouth.'' She looked at Thomas. ''I once dreamed about it, they dragged me into a chair while I was screaming for your name.'' She pushed the tears away as she sniffled. ''They wanted to see how well we could adapt to a new situation, to see if you would reject me or figure something out.'' She raised her shoulders as she looked up. ''Since there was no use for me to be mute anymore, they decided to give me my voice back.'' 

''Did you see Minho?'' She nodded as Newt squeezed in her hand as she nodded in thanks. ''Yeah, a couple of times.'' She rubbed her nose again as Frypan handed her a napkin. ''Thanks.'' She turned back to the boys again. ''They had us together for some of the experiments they performed on us.''

''Experiments? What kind of experiments?'' She quickly shook her head as she looked up. ''Don't ask questions. You do not wanna know.'' The boys all turned to each other as Newt was the first one to scoot next to her, pulling her into a hug as Frypan and Thomas joined in. 

''We're getting him back, right?''

''Unwritten rule number one. No Glader is left behind.'' They laughed as Frypan spoke, softly hitting him in the head. 

I am going to get more into the experiments of Minho and Piper in the next chapter because I want to show what happened and how it affected Piper so much. I love writing with Piper now as I can show how sassy she really is. I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated! See you on Saturday!

-X Violet's-library