Chapter four

''Piper, I swear, I didn't want this for you, I didn't know.'' Piper stared at the boy in front of her, screaming at him without a sound coming out of her throat. ''Pipes, please, calm down. I can't understand you.''

''We did this for your own good Piper.''

''Piper, I'm so sorry.''

Piper sprung awake again, her hair was plastered to her neck because of all the sweat. The dreams were haunting her. She waved her hand over her eyes, trying to wake herself up. She pushed herself up, looking outside of her window. It was still early, Minho and Alby had already gone into the Maze by that point. 

For today, no other Runners were allowed to go into the Maze, the risk of getting stung was too high at the moment. So, instead, Piper decided to keep herself busy with the Med-jacks to help with the girl who was still in a coma. 

Piper greeted Clint and Jeff as they helped two Slicers, ''hey Piper.'' She waved at them as she sat down next to the girl, studying her features. It was weird to see another girl in the Glade, for as far as she knew, she'd never seen another girl. 

She tried to help her to eat, but she had to give less and less each time, hearing the girl whimper and whisper under her breath. She could make out a few words she was saying. Thomas, Maze, test, Wicked, good.  Piper couldn't work out what the girl meant with those words. She sighed as she placed the soup and spoon down onto the nightstand next to the girl, leaving with a wave to the Med-jacks. 

She spent the rest of her day with other jobs as there was not much to help with in the Med-jack hut. As time dawned over the Glade, she began to get nervous, Minho and Alby should be back by now. She could see Newt pacing in front of the East Door as she approached him, placing a hand on his shoulder as they stood in front of the Maze. She wished she was allowed to run into the Maze and help the two, but it was now against the rules, even for Runners.

She noticed the boy chewing on his fingernails before hearing Thomas and Chuck. ''What's wrong with them?'' The younger boy whispered to the Greenie, ''Looks like you did when you popped out of the box.'' 

''I don't know.'' Thomas replied, looking back at the two blondes. ''Why don't you ask them?'' 

''We can hear every bloody word you guys are saying.'' Newt called in a loud voice. ''No wonder people hate sleepin' next to you shanks.'' 

''What is wrong with you?'' Chuck asked as he looked at the two. ''No offense, but you look like klunk.'' Piper sighed as she looked towards the Maze before looking at her wristwatch, time was running out. ''The girl from the Box. Keeps groanin' and saying all kinds of weird stuff, but won't wake up. Med-jacks're doing their best to feed her, but she's eating' less each time. I'm tellin' ya, something's very bad about that whole bloody thing.'' 

Piper shook her head as she started writing something down. 'Minho and Alby should have been back hours ago.' 

Piper couldn't eat that night, she stayed right in front of the West Door as she plucked at the grass below her, a nervous habit. She turned to Newt, signing towards him. ''Can't I go in? I'm a Runner, I'll be back in time.'' 

''No.'' A new voice behind them replied, she sighed as she looked at Gally. ''You know the rules Piper, no-one else goes into the Maze, we can't risk too many lives at once.'' She groaned without a sound as she slammed her closed fist on the ground. ''I'm sorry Piper, we can't.'' She let herself fall back onto the grass, looking at the bright blue sky above them. 

''But why?'' Thomas and Chuck joined them, Thomas sitting down next to Piper and placing a hand on her knee, comforting the girl. ''Won't the Grievers get them if they stay out there? Shouldn't we do something?'' Newt turned around, his face red with fury. ''Shut your hole Greenie!'' Even Piper flinched, getting back up onto her knees as she looked at the Brit. ''Not a bloody week you've been here! You think I wouldn't risk my life in a second to save those lugs?''

''No ... I ... Sorry. I didn't mean ... '' It was obvious he didn't know what to say, Newt looked at him as his face softened. ''You don't get it yet, Tommy. Going out there at night is beggin' for death. We'd just be throwin' more lives away. If those shankes don't make it back ... '' He paused as he looked at Piper. ''We all swore an oath, never go out at night. No matter what. Never.'' 

Thomas looked over at Chuck, who seemed as pale-faced as Newt. ''Newt and Piper won't say it.'' He started, looking at the teens, ''so I will. If they're not back, it means they're dead. Minho's too smart to get lost. Impossible. They're dead.'' Piper stared at the younger boy as tears welled in her eyes. Her face became red as Gally, of all people, turned to Chuck. ''Chuck! Stop being so inconsiderate!'' All eyes turned to him, only now noticing the silently, crying girl as Gally pulled her into a hug. ''It's okay Piper, they'll be back.'' 

She shook her head as she pulled herself free. ''No, they won't, I don't think they're dead, but something must have happened, he isn't going to make it back.'' She signed towards him, looking back at the West door as she swallowed her tears back. ''The doors close in two minutes.'' Newt stated, bringing an arm around her shoulders. 

A loud boom sounded from all directions, then came the crunching, grinding sound of stone against stone. The Doors were closing for the night. Piper pushed herself against Newt, crying into his chest. ''They got him!'' That voice, Minho. 

She quickly turned around, staring at the boy. Than, noticing Alby's slum body being dragged by the Asian boy. She watched as Minho tried desperately to get Alby on his feet, finally giving up and starting to drag Alby with him. Piper stood there, having to watch him struggle while she wasn't able to do anything. Her mind was telling her to stay where she was, but her heart wanted her to run into that Maze and pull him out of there, make him leave Alby.

Maybe it was selfish, she knew it was. But how could she not be? She wanted Minho to be safe, she wanted him to make it, to live, to take her on that date. But she was unable to help him, unable to pull him out of the maze. 

Others had formed around them, almost all Gladers stood around them as they started to scream at Minho, urging him to go on. Minho stumbled up ahead, fell to the ground. Piper wished she could scream as loud as she could, but nothing came out. Time as up, that was it. Than, she heard Newt scream. ''Don't do it Tommy! Don't you bloody do it!'' Newt threw out his arm, trying to grab the Greenie, missing him by an inch as Thomas pushed himself through the small gap, falling in just before the Doors closed. 

I felt so sorry for Piper here, having to stand there and not being able to do anything to help someone you love, I felt horrible. Still, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I cannot wait for the next, if you enjoyed, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated. See you next week!

-X Violet's-library