"I have to try," Rian said. "I can't just abandon her and leave her to whatever fate she'll face alone. She's my friend. And I won't let that happen."

"What if it's her destiny to meet her fate alone?" Gurjin offered.

"Then we'll have to rewrite fate," Rian snapped.

The silence was too quiet.

"Sorry," Gurjin apologized.

"No," Rian corrected. "You're right, I need to focus on more pressing things."

Gurjin could tell his friend only meant about half of what he was saying. He missed his friend and was doing all he could to find her, but that was getting in his way of his duty. He had seen something like this in his friend's eye about half a trine ago, when the skekSis had drained Myra. It wasn't as bad as all that back then, but it was bordering on that, and it worried Gurjin.

They approached Stone-in-the-Wood, home base for the gelfling resistance. A new wall was being built to fortify the clan's land. The walls encircled all of Stone-in-the-Wood, with multiple entrance points guarded by gelfling warriors. The gate to the fortifications had been adorned with the armor of both The Hunter skekMal and The General skekVar. The armor hung to tease the remaining skekSis, and remind them of what had happened. It was a challenge as well. The skekSis hadn't been seen since the Second Battle for Stone-in-the-Wood, most likely hiding out in the Castle of The Crystal as the cowards they were, continuing to worsen the blight upon Thra. They had no gelfling to drain and were most likely losing strength.

"I am fine," said the old soothsayer. "I do not need a guard accompaniment. I am Mother Aughra."

The embodiment of Thra turned from Maudra Laesid of the Drenchen and began marching away from the encampment. She looked up with her eye at the landstrider and nodded to the two soldiers atop it.

"Farewell Rian and Gurjin," she said. "I am off."

"Wait!" Rian called, hopping from the landstrider and landing with grace upon both feet. "Wait!"

Mother Aughra stopped in her tracks, pausing a moment to turn back to the Stonewood warrior.

"Yes, brave Rian?" she asked. "What is it?"

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"Hmm," Aughra harrumphed. "That is a bit of a loaded question. Do you mean the final destination I am headed to? Do you mean the end goal, or the places I will stop along my way?"

"Umm," Rian murmured, taken aback by the further questioning.

"Ha," Aughra laughed. "I jest with you. In truth, even I do not know. Thra calls me and tells me that I must be off. Only a shadow of where I must go, she said. But it is a strong, solid shadow."

"I was wondering," Rian started. "If you would...that is, if you could..."

"I know what you would ask of me," the sage said calmly in between Rian's broken words, understanding in her voice. "Unfortunately, Thra only shows me what is important at the moment. I'm afraid Deet's location is kept from my discerning gaze."

Rian looked down with disappointment. At least he had asked.

"Fear not though," she said. "For I do see that we will all cross paths yet again. At some point, you will see Deet once more, as will I. Do not fret. Focus on the task at hand. Focus on the resistance. Thra will handle the rest."

She lay hand on the little gelfling's shoulder, looking him in the eye and telling him all would be well with a gesture. She gave a little smile, that he returned, before she snapped back to her usual stoic expression.