Chapter 2: Falling

Chapter 2: Falling

"Ms Latif," Doctor Habib said in a grave tone. "Against my better judgement, I'm allowing you to be released. If you, or little Haaris, have any kind of pain or aches, please return to the E.R. immediately."

Sania nodded, then regretted the sharp movement. Her sole focus was on her son – and then getting the hell out of the hospital. She hated hospitals with a passion especially since ... that night just more than five years ago.

With an almost audible gulp, Sania swallowed down those painful, haunting memories and verbally agreed to the doctor's advice and promised to follow through.

"Sania," doctor Habib called gently, "please, at any time you feel pain or discomfort, let us see to it as soon as possible." He stared at her and watched her reactions. "If you have any pain and you prolong the matter, it could result in a much longer stay at the hospital."

"I will, doctor," she said in a quiet tone. Yet mentally, her mind was running haywire with all the costs of this accident. "Thank you for your understanding," she mumbled out, almost as if she were embarrassed.

Out of all days.

She woke up late, Haaris was fussing and fooling around, testing her already thin patience and then as she managed to get him dressed and fed and then seated in the car and on the way to his school, she got hit by the other two cars.

It all happened within a heartbeat. Sania had no time to react, to try to avoid the accident. All she had managed was a weak plea to save her son.

Sania could only imagine the state of her old, beat-up car. Her insurance was measly. There was no way that she was going to get anything worthy from her car to be able to afford another car.

Then, the medical bills... Sania sighed. Medical bills would be a nightmare. Sania felt as if she were falling into a deep pit of despair.

"I mean, this accident was terrible, and terrifying, but I know I have a lot to make shukr for. I truly am grateful to be not so seriously injured, and that my son is safe, but I am exhausted." Sania's heart was heavy with worries, but there was a large part of her that knew – that trusted and believed – her Lord would ease all her affairs.

Doctor Habib studied his patient over the thin wire frames of his glasses. Sania, short, kind and fierce mother, he surmised. She was designed for battles, but she was also designed to be victorious. Sania, he realised, was not just made to be a warrior, but rather a champion of all her wars. "Yes," he agreed tiredly. "I can imagine how traumatic today must have been, Ms Latif, but remember, take the rest of the evening lightly. Take your painkillers after a meal and sleep as much as you can."

She nodded with an exhausted, weary smile on her pale face. "Thank you, doctor, I will take care of myself. I promise."

"That is all I need to hear," he smiled and opened her curtain.