Prologue: Roaring Thunder

Prologue – Roaring Thunder

"I am tired!" she hissed venomously. "Tired of living in a lie, tired of pretending that I am happy and able to live like a pauper!" Inaya screamed at him as she stomped her foot. "I thought that love was enough, enough to sustain us, but love is never enough. Love will never be enough." She pulled on the front portion of her hair as she tried to control her anger from shouting even louder at him.

In loud stomps, she paced the small lounge angrily. "This is all your fault," she accused as she walked away from him. "'Marry me, we won't be living in sin,' you said. 'We will work hard and make money, and then we will live in luxury,'" her dark eyes shot accusingly towards him. "Isn't that what you said?"

With his coal-black hair in a mess, his eyes deeply sunken into his cheeks from his lack of sleep, he nodded. Each poisonous word that fell from her sweet, pink lips felt like a double-edged sword being driven into his heart and soul. The foul words pierced every heartbeat of his and made him feel weaker and weaker... until all he wanted to do was cry.

"Answer me, damn it, Izaad!" she shouted, the singular sound resonating in the near empty flat they shared.

Izaad forced the tears back. Faint remnants of his father's words were floating at the back of his mind, yet he couldn't recall it. His heart was pounding loudly, but he couldn't remember those words. Izaad knew it was important, but his mind was going blank.

"Yes," he replied weakly. The sole word hesitated on its way out, almost as if it would be a horrendous mistake to admit it.

Was his heartbeat slowing down? Izaad placed a hand on his heart, but he could not find anything. His world was turning before his eyes.

"In a year, what has changed? Huh? What changed, Izaad?" she yelled angrily at him. "You promised me a good life, but all I have been doing is suffering!"

Izaad looked around him, the room spun before him in dizzying circles. The white walls blending together until they looked almost grey. The dark red love sofa that Inaya insisted on, became blurry. He couldn't feel that his legs were steady on the ground. He trusted nothing. His heart rate sped up uncomfortably.

"This is useless," she huffed. "There is no need to talk to you! I am leaving, Izaad. Being married to you was the worst mistake that I have ever made in my life! We're twenty-two," she hissed disgustedly, "and all I am doing is wasting my time with you!"

Inaya sashayed away to their bedroom, hastily dumped all of her clothes into the large suitcase she carried with her when she married and moved with Izaad to this god-forsaken old town.

Izaad alone in the lounge, tried to keep breathing, tried to remember the words his father and grandfather had kept muttering about in his childhood, but nothing could come to the forefront of his mind. Memories were fading in and out, but he could not focus. Everything kept changing and turning, nothing made sense anymore.

His heart was breaking in his chest, he could feel it, but his legs didn't work anymore. Inaya, his darling Inaya was angry at him, and words had begun to fail him. He was numb.

Suddenly, a flash of colour and clarity returned to him: Inaya was walking out of their home. Leaving him.

"No!"

And then there was a deafening, roaring, bloody, thud