seven

dirty fucking pogue

dirty fucking pogue

The Boneyard was packed and the party was already in full gear by the time Rafe and Harper showed up. The sun had already set and most people were on there third drink.

"You miss these?" Rafe whispered to the girl next to him. She hasn't been to a party at The Boneyard in years.

Harper looked up at him, "Something like that," she smirked, grabbing his hand and leading him to where everyone was gathered around, "Hey, it's the Polo Shirt Posse," Harper smirked once she reached her brothers and his friends, who were each wearing a polo shirt. Sarah stood beside Topper as well.

"You are just the funniest person I know," Hunter spoke sarcastically, light shoving his sisters shoulder. She let out a hurtful scoff before taking his drink. Hayden let out a slight laugh at his sisters actions while throwing his arm around the girl.

Harper's eldest brother always felt the need to be protective over her. He never trusted anyone, expect for the few people he was close with.

The calm before the storm. That was what people referred to when it came to actually storms. Yet in this moment on the beach, it was a sense of calmness before the chaos kicked in.

Even though Harper was kind to the Pogues, they still treated her like every other Kook. It was something she was starting to get tired of, "The Queen finally makes an appearance," Harper heard a deep voice say from behind her. From the look Hunter was giving him, she could only assume who it was.

"You know, JJ, I thought I would show up just for you," Harper said while turning around to face the blonde boy. He held a smirk upon his face while holding a red solo cup. Kiara Carrera stood behind him, who was the Pogue that hated Harper the most, "You too, Kiara."

The dark hair girl rolled her eyes, "I don't remember caring that much," only someone with the desire to create a problem would continue on with the conversation. Since Kiara took that leap, Harper felt it was time to finally stick up for herself.

"I would like you to give me a reason for why you are a bitch towards me. Because last time I checked, I've been nothing but nice to you," Harper stepped closer to Kiara, staring at her until she responded.

"Because you're a whore," Kiara spat, loud enough for the surrounding crowd to here. Harper laughed at her words, knowing exactly where they were coming from.

"I'm sorry that you think me kissing JJ in seventh grade makes me a whore," Harper began with a smirk, "I forgot you're obsessed with him." Within seconds, Kiara's palm collided with Harper's cheek, "You're pathetic. The kiss wasn't even good," Harper laughed.

By now, John B had made his way towards the commotion, pouring himself some beer from out of the keg, but instead, JJ took to cup out of his hand, "Harper, Sarah, could I interest either you in a tasty Milwaukee beverage?"

At the mention of Sarah's name, Topper took a step forward along with Rafe. The Cameron boy stood in front of Harper, his sense of over protectiveness coming out.

"No thanks," Sarah spoke for bother her and Harper.

"Is it not fancy enough for you guys?"

Finally, Topper butted in, "You know what, I'll take it," he said with a tone of annoyance. Before Harper could process the banter taking place in front of her, Topper's fist hooked across John B's face.

It was the storm, and the calmness sadly disappeared. Topper and John B broke out into a brutal fight, punching and throwing each other all over the beach. Harper watched from the side, fear arising inside of her as she saw Topper get hit hard in the abdomen. He was like a little brother to her, she didn't want to see him hurt.

"Guys, stop!" She tried yelling along with Sarah, but it was useless. The two guys weren't stopping until one of them had no strength to stand.

Time suddenly stopped when JJ stood over Topper, holding a gun to his head. Harper's breathing hitched in the back of her throat as she saw the deadly weapon so close to someone she loved.

Everyone was silent, so quiet that Harper felt as if she could hear her heart beating out of her chest. Her arm latched onto Rafe's shoulder, he too was nervous about what would come next.

Yet he wasn't expecting anything near what did.

"Dirty fucking Pogue!" Harper yelled at the blonde boy who held the gun. She bent down, picking up the largest rock she could find, and threw it as hard as she could at JJ.

All eyes moved to the Bratton girl as she took a step forward. JJ's attention turned towards her, but without thinking, he still held the gun straight ahead. It now was aimed at Harper's chest as the girl's eyes went wide.

Without a second thought, Rafe and Hayden stepped in front of the girl, blocking her from the line of fire. Even though JJ would never shoot anyone, Rafe was furious at the sight of a gun being aimed at his best friend.

"Shit, man. I didn't mean to aim it at her," JJ began rambling once he realized what he had done. He pointed the muzzle at the sand, but not taking his eyes of Rafe as he walked closer to him.

"I don't give a fuck," Rafe spat, punching JJ hard enough for him to lose his balance and fall to the ground, "If you ever point a gun at Harper again, I'll fucking kill you."

Harper was frozen in place, taking in Rafe's demeanor. She had never seen him act out in this sort of way, especially not threatening to kill someone. It sent chills down her arms as she was scared at the new found aggressive behavior. But seeming as a deadly weapon was being aimed at her, she told herself that Rafe's actions were reasonable.

By now, Hayden stood fully in front of Harper with his arm back holding her wrist. They watched as JJ stood back up while grabbing the gun once again. Rafe turned around, storming back towards the group of Kooks.

Instead of stopping, he continued walking up the beach. Hayden turned around and guided Harper back towards Figure Eight, keeping his hand on her upper back and staying behind her. As they walked away, they heard to gunshots followed by JJ yelling "Get the hell off of our side of the island!"

Harper thought of whatever respect she had towards the Pogues had now completely vanished. And she knew that this summer was going to be a long one.