nine

anything to protect you

"What the fuck just happened," Harper sighed once her and Rafe were in the quiet of his car. Rafe was yet to say something after he threatened JJ, and the girl next to him watched as his eyebrow twitched from anger, "Rafe, I'm okay."

Harper reached out towards Rafe's hand that rested on the gear shift. But she was shocked when he quickly pulled it towards himself, still not looking at her.

Harper tried to figure out a reason as to why Rafe would be upset with her, yet nothing came to mind, "Rafe, are you okay?"

"Just shut up, Harper," Rafe snapped, running his hands through his messed up hair. Once he turned to look at the girl, he saw the immediate sadness that took over her as soon as the words left his mouth, "Harper, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that. I just saw a fucking gun pointed at you, I can't think straight right now."

The words poured out of Rafe, and Harper believed him. She understood that what just happened was serious, and Rafe is allowed to be upset. But it didn't help fix the feeling she had in her chest after hearing Rafe yell at her.

"Harp, I'm just shaken up," Rafe said in a soft voice while grabbing her hand, "You know I would never yell at you like that on purpose."

Harper shook her head in response, which told Rafe that she understood. He gave her hand a quick squeeze before starting that car and driving away from The Boneyard.

"Why don't we go to the mainland for tonight," Rafe suggested as he pulled into the Bratton's driveway. Harper looked towards him with a confused look, "I thought getting out of town for the night would be nice."

The idea of getting out of Kildare County for the night made Harper somewhat excited. After agreeing to the plan, she went inside to pack a bag before the two left.

The car ride to the mainland was quiet, Harper watched as the bridge was lit up by a few safety lights since the hurricane cut out all power. They were the only ones driving across the bridge, and to Harper it felt peaceful.

Once they crossed the bridge, Rafe drove into town, pulling into a Marriot Hotel parking lot. Because of the recent hurricane, the place was practically vacant. Only the families who were oblivious to a storm coming in were there.

Rafe grabbed Harper's bag and made his way out of the vehicle, walking towards the trunk to grab random necessities he always kept on hand. The Bratton girl waited for him to grab his things before they walked into the hotel together.

Once at the front desk, Rafe started speaking to the receptionist, "The suite please, put it under Cameron," His voice wasn't demanding, yet he just sounded cold. Like all his emotions were ripped out of him after seeing a pistol aimed at Harper.

The receptionist handed Rafe the key card before the two made their way to the top floor. The elevator ride was silent, Harper was afraid to speak up as she watched Rafe's eyebrows furrow. The elevator door opened, followed by a sigh escaping Harper's lips. She followed the Cameron boy into the suite, turning on the hallway light as she walked through the door.

The suite was beautiful. The off-white aesthetic paired with browns and off-white. The living room was lit dimly by the city lights, just bright enough to see the complementary champagne bottle sitting on the coffee table.

Harper decided to pour herself a glass, hoping to relieve the tension and nerves built up inside her. She never thought that the Pogues would stoop so low. Her once nonjudgmental opinions on them completely vanished.

"Are you alright?" Harper heard Rafe speak softly. She turned around to see him leaning against the countertop of the island bar. His hands were gripping the counter so tightly his knuckles were almost white.

It wasn't rare for the Cameron boy to be overprotective of Harper, and she knew that. Even with creases in Rafe's forehead, Harper could see worry in his eyes. She poured another glass before walking up to him.

"I'm alright," Harper barely spoke. Rafe could hear the lie behind the shaking in her voice. His heart broke seeing her like this. Out of anybody in the whole world, he knew for a fact that Harper did not deserve to have a pistol pointed at her.

"Hun," Rafe whispered, grabbing the glasses from Harper's hands and pulling her into a soft hug. He could feel her heart pounding before tears slowly fell down her face, "It's okay. I would never let anyone hurt you."

Rafe's words started to calm Harper down slightly, but tears still brimmed her eyes. Rafe softly rubbed his thumb across Harper's cheeks, whiling away the tears that fell, "Let's watch a movie. How does The Notebook sound?"

"You hate The Notebook," Harper laughed slightly, a smile starting to grow on her face. 

"But it's your favorite," Rafe grabbed the girls hand, guiding her to the large sofa that sat in the middle of the living room. He got the movie started before grabbing the glasses of champagne and a blanket.

Rafe pulled Harper close to him, wrapping his arm around her. She curled up next to the boy, resting her head on his chest, "Thank you for everything."

"Of course, Harper. There's nothing I wouldn't do to protect you."