"My prince-"

"Please, call me Marcaeus in private." I insisted, cutting him off.

"Marcaeus," he corrected, "your father has given me orders to stay with you at all times." He stared at me through my mirror as I braided my hair. I glanced at him through my lashes and caught his eyes; there it was again. Such intensity. He watched me with said intensity. I shifted slightly.

"Even in my own home?"

"Yes." I cursed under my breath. What am I? A prisoner of my own home? I growled in frustration. It hasn't even been a day, I haven't even been anywhere, and nothing has happened, and yet my father has already started limiting my freedom! I stood and walked over to my bed. Crawling on it, I lay with my back to Laeo. "Shall I stay outside, my pri- Marcaeus?"

"No. Stay in here." I said quietly.

"Are you sure?"

"Laeo?"

"Yes?" He sounded as though he were suspicious of me.

"Come here. Lay on the bed with me." I said, "At least until I fall asleep."

"What if your father or someone else were to come in?" He queried.

"They won't do anything. I've told you to come here, so do it."

"Yes, Marcaeus." I felt as he sat on the bed.

"I said lay with me." I stated, still with my back to him.

"I shall sit." I looked over at him. He was with his back to the headboard, but his legs were straight out in front of him on the bed. I turned to face him and put my head on his lap.

"Will you really keep me safe?" I never showed anyone this side of me, but I feel as though he'll never betray me. No one would ever believe me to have fears. Kings and princes aren't supposed to fear; that's what the people believe. But, we aren't fearless. Never will be either.

"I swear to the gods and on my very soul, that I shall protect you."

"Thank you." I whispered as I closed my eyes and drifted to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, I woke to a voice softly calling my name and a strong hand on my arm. I slowly opened my eyes to see two emerald orbs looking at me calmly. I sat up slowly and stretched.

"Yes, Laeo?" I sighed.

"Your breakfast awaits you, as does your father, my prince." He informed me. I felt my eyes narrow slightly.

"Haven't I said for you to call me Marcaeus in private?" I saw his lip twitch upward, but he didn't smile. However, I could see the mirth in his eyes.

"My apologies, Marcaeus." I smirked triumphantly. He chuckled before holding out a hand for me. I took it as he helped me out of my bed. Laeo escorted me to the dining hall and stood a foot behind and slightly off to the side of my chair. Before me, on my plate, sat bread and fruit. I ignored the bread, simply eating the fruit. A female servant brought me wine, which I ignored and sighed for the second time this day.

"Is something the matter, Marcaeus?" My father asked. I shook my head without looking at him. "Are you sure?" He pressed, this time sounding worried.

"Yes, father, I am sure." I responded, "May I be excused?" He nodded and I stood. "If you need me, I shall be in the gardens." I stated before walking out. I didn't need to look to know that Laeo was following me. I could feel his questioning gaze on my back. I undid the braid in my hair as I walked toward the gardens. Upon entering, I went to a stone bench and sat. I looked up at the sky. Clouds, so dark. It'll rain soon. As I thought this, the clash of thunder was heard just as lightning struck. I smiled to myself.