28 - 𝚂𝚎𝚝 𝚒𝚗 𝚂𝚝𝚘𝚗𝚎

┌─────────❍─────────┐

"I told you not to."

└─────────❍─────────┘

The Next Day

The mission started with Yume and I remaining tense and distant towards each other.

Suguru and Yume went ahead, searching for the children from the back of the cult's headquarters. It was designed like an old Japanese temple, but painted in dull grey tones. Every creak on the floor echoed through the hallways, prompting me to use cursed energy to be light on my feet.

Muffled whispers hit the inner corners of my ear. They sounded small, fragile and feminine.

Two little girls?

I carefully pushed back the wooden doors housing the voices away from me, revealing just what I expected. There were indeed two young girls bound together in their hands and feet.

"Those demons," I whispered under my breath before approaching the two and running my dagger against the main loop. My brows furrowed in surprise when I realized they had identical faces framed by straight green hair.

One had more personality than the other, glared at me and asked in a suspicious tone. "Who are you?"

"No time for questions," I shushed her. "Get your sister up, we have to go."

Of course, it wouldn't take anyone minutes to figure out that these two were twins. My problem, however, was how unprotected the organization was. It seemed as if it was a-

"Your back!," the seemingly older one cried out while the younger whimpered and hid behind her sister.

My hand acted on instinct, throwing the dagger straight to the attacker's forehead as if there was a target sign attached to him. Grabbing the spear I picked up from one of the racks a while ago, I swept him off his footing. His body landed on the wooden floor with a thud.

I sighed in relief. I was able to deal with him quickly, and it did not seem to alert anyone. However, my senses already heightened when the sneak attack started. We wouldn't get out of here easily, that was one thing for sure.

"You are so good at using cursed energy," the older girl admonished.

"I wasn't using cursed energy," I clarified. It seemed like she couldn't tell. "That was whatever the weapon could offer."

Her eyes widened. The barrier she had around me seemed to have thawed and she looked like she wanted to ask me something, but I just signalled her to keep quiet and follow me.

"Hey, please trust me on this one." I looked over to the two who both nodded back at me.

I took out the cube-shaped necklace once again and chanted the incantation for Safe Realm. After the short ritual, the two were already hidden safely inside the cursed necklace.