1 - Lee's mission

~Lee's POV~

The sound of the leaves brushing each other and our feet kicking the branches repeated itself. Gai-sensei, Tenten, Neji and I were out on a mission again. This time, we were following an escaping ninja who had attempted to infiltrate the village of Konoha. For the moment, their motives were unknown, all we knew was that he was an obsessive fan of Tsunade-sama, the current Hokage.

It seemed the ninja was not just a simple fan: we had trouble catching him up. Suddenly, a wall of sand appeared in front of the unknown ninja and he bumped right in it. We all stopped. I could recognise this ninjutsu anywhere: Gaara was here. He then appeared, standing on floating sand, as the sand wall dissolved itself.

"G- Gaara!" I exclaimed, surprised but happy nevertheless.

We looked into each other's eyes for an instant and Gaara then answered with an unpredictable warm and soft smile:

"Hello Lee."

Although it was not much, this made my heart skip a beat. I probably blushed slightly. I had not seen Gaara in a while and I missed him. After all, he was not only my rival, but also a dear friend who saved me at multiple times.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I have a meeting with the Hokage, but I am going to stay in Konoha for a moment."

Then, the unknown ninja suddenly popped out of nowhere and threw a needle at me. It did not hurt as much. I kicked him in the face, which made him land on a tree. He was unconscious. Tenten went to pick him up.

"Are you okay ?!" Gaara asked in panic.

"Yeah, don't worry! It didn't even hurt!" I said as I striked my nice guy pose, giving him a thumbs up.

Gai-sensei took the needle out of my skin and took an attentive look at it.

"...Lee...This is most likely poison!" He said with an intense expression.

"G- Gai-sensei!! Am I going to die ?!" I screamed in panic.

"We can never be sure. Let's hurry to the Hokage." Gaara said as calmly as he could.

He insisted on carrying me with his sand so I accepted his offer. I really did not feel any effect on my body, but I couldn't refuse the Kazekage, so I sat as I watched the others racing through the trees.

~At the Hokage's office~

We soon arrived and Hokage-sama took me in for an inspection. However, it seemed that nothing harmful had entered my body. It seemed very odd that a proper ninja would do such a pointless attack at the last moment. I was told that since it did not affect me physically, it might have an effect on a psychological level. The Hokage had too much work and did not make any further research. However, she told me to warn her if anything unusual happened to my body.

"I am delighted to meet the Kazekage. I hear that you will be staying here for a while?" Tsunade-sama said.

"Yes. I wanted to take a break and visit the town, since the amount of work has gone down lately."

"Is that so? I hear that you know Lee. Why don't you take the Kazekage around the down and accompany him in his holiday, Lee?" She said as she turned towards me.

I knew I had to train as soon as possible and accomplish missions, but I still accepted. After all, I won't get to see him as often now. I turned to look at Gaara as he gave me a friendly nod. I nodded back, trying to hold back the silly smile and sparkles in my eyes that reacted to his friendliness. He did not use to be like this, so this made me happy. My heart thumped loudly in my chest. How odd. I don't usually act this way around him...