xxᴠɪɪ. ᴛʜᴇ ꜰɪʀsᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴀsᴛ ɴɪɢʜᴛ

JESS shook his head.
"I mean, I'm not staying in California." Sage felt her head spin as it filled with thoughts.
"Uh, what, why?" Jess pressed his lips together.
"I'm gonna stay with some friends back in New York." Sage let the corners of her mouth turn up in a smile.
"Sorry, you have friends?" Jess chuckled at the girl's comment.
"So you're not my friend?" Jess stuck out his bottom lip. Sage grinned.
"New York isn't far away, it's so much more close than California!" she exclaimed.
"Exactly. Which means," Jess paused to smile at her, "I'll be able to see you." The two let the pleasant silence consume them for a few minutes before Sage broke it.
"When are you leaving?"
"Tomorrow." Jess inhaled, "First thing." Sage scarcely scowled, not wanting Jess to notice.
"Oh."
"Yeah.." Despite not admitting it, Sage wished he would ask her to go with him again, albeit he never would, as she left him crestfallen last time.
"Well, that's cool." Sage said, blocking out the sorrow she felt deep down.
"Okay." Jess repositioned his pillow, "Goodnight."
"Night." Sage felt the coldness of the right of her pillow sting her cheek. Her head was starting to spin again.
Stop she thought, trying to obstruct the voice in her head telling her nasty words and feeding her brain with things she never wanted to hear.
Not being able to take it anymore, she sat up, straight forward and stared at the sage walls in front of her. Jess heard her sudden movement and secretly observed her expression. Brows furrowed and eyes widened, her chest moving up and down with every arrayed breath she took.
"Are you okay?" Jess asked her, startling her as he did so.
"Yeah, I'm.." Sage puffed up her cheeks, "It's graduation tomorrow, I'm graduating, Jess." Jess pinched the bridge of his nose.
"It's graduation?" he questioned, and Sage scoffed and twiddled with her thumbs.
"Jess, you knew that.." Jess sighed.
"Sorry. I dropped out of high school, I don't know what-"
"Yeah, and just because your a high school dropout it doesn't mean you forget everything about school!" Sage immediately regretted her tone. "I'm sorry."
"It's okay." Jess frowned, raising his hands above his head.
"It's just, schools a big deal for me. I have to get into Yale."
"Jeez, I know. You say." Jess bellowed and Sage glowered at him.
"What's your problem?" Sage shouted.
"I don't know, okay!" Jess met her loud timbre, "Sage, I don't have any problem with you! God, if you would just listen! I don't wanna be fighting with you, and I'm sorry I'm such a screw-up because I don't try to be! I'm actually smart, I am, but I just don't care about it." Sage had never heard Jess shout properly, only in a joking matter, so it shocked her greatly.
"You're not a screw-up." she said softly, meeting Jess' gaze, "You are so so smart and talented, and, not every one's like me. They don't plan their life ahead. I think it's cool you're spontaneous." Sage smiled gently and Jess nodded back at her.
"Okay." Jess grinned as his breathing quickened. He got up from the air mattress and it sunk as his weight left it. He climbed onto her bed, across her body, reminding Sage of the first time he had done so, five months ago. He rested his arm of the headboard and glanced down at Sage.
"Hi."
"Hi." Jess didn't hesitate before crashing his lips into hers. They both cherished these moments, because they meant everything.

SAGE was awoken by the tiny gap in the curtains as the sun shined through it. The day seemed like a perfect one, however the familiar sound of Jess' faint snores unsettled her. She got up from her bed, dragging along the sheets with her to hide her body, and there, sprawled across the mattress where he was sleeping, was a shirt. Sage also noticed a note. She picked it up and read it.

She felt the smile stretch across her face

She felt the smile stretch across her face. She raised the shirt to her nose and inhaled his scent. His particular scent. The one she could never mistake. She slipped the shirt on and made her way out her room. She rubbed her eyes. They were gritty. Her vision was speckled with black spots before the disappeared quickly, and she could make out the figure of her mother on the couch. Leanne lifted up her head to grin at her daughter.
"Hey hon."
"Hey." Sage snuggled into the shirt.
"Cute shirt. Jess'?" Sage bit her lip.
"Yeah."
"So," Leanne began, sipping her coffee before she resumed, "Seems like you and the dirtbag had fun last night." she winked at Sage who transformed to scarlet.
"What?" she stammered, hiding her face with the shirt.
"It's very thin walls, honey." Leanne joked and Sage twitched.
"So, he's gone? He's really gone?" Sage mumbled, awaiting her mother's reply. Leanne nodded sombrely.
"He's gone honey." Sage swallowed and felt the dryness of her throat.
Jess was gone. Again.

sorry this took like forever but oh well.