~ Episode 3.9 ~

August 1921

August 1921.

Margaret sits beside Tom at breakfast, the day the family are scheduled to leave for Scotland. Edith comes back after taking a phone call. Cora looks to her daughter, "Who was it?"

"My editor, Michael Gregson," Edith answers, sitting beside Margaret. Robert rolls his eyes, "He's realized he'll be in Scotland at the same time as us."

"Don't tell me he'll be near Duneagle," Mary says.

"Apparently," Edith nods.

"What a coincidence," Margaret sends her twin a look as Edith smiles.

"Yes, isn't it?"

"Maybe we can ask him over," Cora suggests, "We want to meet him, don't we, Robert?"

"Why are the Flintshire's based in Scotland when the title's Welsh?" Matthew asks.

"Oh," Robert nods, "Shrimpie's grandmother was Countess of Newtonmoor in her own right. It's now their courtesy title."

"Dare one ask why he's called Shrimpie?"

Robert smiles, "It was a nursery game. Louisa was a lobster, Agatha was a shark, which is easy to believe, and I suppose Shrimpie was a shrimp."

"Is he very small?" Tom asks.

Margaret smiles, "No, but he was the youngest."

"I'm sorry you won't be with us," Cora apologizes.

"Why should they ask me?" Tom shrugs, "I don't know them at all."

"Nor do I, really," Matthew tells him.

"Nor me," Evelyn adds.

Robert looks to his eldest daughter, "Are you sure you should be going?"

"Don't be a spoilsport," Mary sighs, "I still have a month," she looks to the butler and frowns, "You don't want me to go, either?"

Carson looks up, "I think you should take good care of yourself, my lady. That's all."

"I agree," Robert nods, "Right, let's get started. I told mama we'd be on the platform at quarter to, and we're late."

"Matthew and I will be a moment," Margaret tells her father, standing up, "We have to fetch the twins. Apparently Emma's refusing to put on shoes. I swear, Matthew, she gets her attitude from your side of the Crawleys."

"Oh, does she?"

"But, of course," Mary smiles, answering for Margaret, "We were all angels."

"Maybe not all of you," Cora shrugs, standing up, "But Margaret certainly was."

———

Margaret carries a sleeping James while Matthew wrangles an annoyed Emma as they follow Mary and Evelyn onto the platform, "Why did you give me Emma? James is asleep."