Sucking in a deep breath, I entered the portal, following Grey and the blonde woman. My vision was enveloped with a canvas of colourful lights as it soon faded away to reveal the changed surroundings.

We were now in the sanctuary room.

I noticed few other ascenders already inside, who took a glance at our group for a few seconds before going about their own business. It felt odd to enter the sanctuary room, let alone come across other ascenders, as I was used to Grey's unusual methods of transportation.

Shaking my head, I focused on the students as they slowly entered the portal in pairs. I tried to ignore the conversation between Abby and Grey, as it was very obvious that the blonde woman was trying to flirt with the professor.

After counting all the students, I walked next to the two professors. Abby was pulling at Grey's shirt as she laughed out loud at something he had said. I looked at him, hoping to catch his attention, but the man was constantly hit with questions from the blonde woman as he kept answering her. I noticed him glancing at me from time to time, which made me shake my head.

Pushing down the rising up frustration, I cleared my throat loudly, to grab the pair's attention. Grey snapped his head towards me and took a step back from Abby. His face was slowly turning red. Was it because of embarrassment or anger? I didn't know. "Professor Grey, all the students have been checked for their simulets. We're ready to go, once you activate the relic." I informed the man who looked frozen, while Abby simply nodded at my words.

"Alright, let's m—"

"Oh my Vritra! What a coincidence! To meet you again!" A feminine voice spoke from behind, grabbing our attention. I turned to the side to see a figure approaching us. Her face looked familiar yet I couldn't remember her name.

"What? Don't tell me that you don't remember who I am." The woman spoke, eyeing both Grey and me with a bemused smile. Seeing our confused faces, she continued. "I know we only met for a short while, but come on Grey! Don't tell me you forgot who I am." She said, looking at Grey, then turned her gaze on me. "And you, Miss Denoir, I didn't expect to see you here. And that too with him. I guess I was mistaken that day to think Grey was with the Denoir's. Rather, it's the other way around, huh?" She laughed.

Suddenly, it hit me, as my eyes widened in realisation. "Daria!" But before I could say her name out loud, Grey beat me to it. "Quite unexpected to see you again." He said with a small nod while his face remained stoic.

"Wait. That's it!?" Daria exclaimed in surprise, mirroring my own thoughts. Grey furrowed his eyebrows before answering with his usual cold tone. "Yes. We do not have much time, we must leave."

He swept his gaze over the students who were watching our conversation as they murmured between themselves. His eyes then stopped at me for a second but, he turned away and looked at Abby before nodding. Why is he mad at me? I asked myself, yet again, a countless number of times by now.

"Wait!" Daria shouted, looking at us head towards the ascension portal. I saw her walk over to us, after talking with few other ascenders who looked to be her teammates. "Let me come with you guys! These students are from the Central Academy right? And you are their professors? Maybe I could find myself some capable mage to join our team later on." She spoke with a glint in her eyes while looking intently at Grey. The professor looked thoughtful for a few seconds, before speaking up. "Alright. As long as you help us in keeping the students safe." He gave a curt nod towards the woman before handing her a simulet.

Daria grinned wide before walking close to me. She looked like she was about to say something but was interrupted by Abby's shout. "Alright everyone, we've wasted enough time already. Now if you can, let us leave. We have a long day ahead of us."