CHAPTER 4

VANESSA P.O.V

Im finally at my room reading some books to get familiar with this new world.Since it looks like I'm gonna be here for a while I should know more things about this world.

My ladies-in-waiting came to my room and greeted.They approached and looked hesitant to speak up.

"Is there something you'd like to tell me?"

"We wanted to ask what did His Majesty say?”

I'm supposed to be telling them how he got angry with me for mentioning the woman,but since that didn't happen I might as well be honest.Maybe they can even help spread the word.

"He didn't say much.He told me the woman is 2 months pregnant already and he asked me to help out in taking care of her"

"Thank God.That means that woman can never be a mistress since she's already pregnant with another man's child."

"Speaking of men,I wonder where her husband is?She's pregnant and yet she's out here in other people's home"

"Didn't you heard?She's probably a slave so she might have run away from where she came from.You never know what kind of man her husband is that she needed to run away"

"Yeah,if she had a good husband then she wouldn't be here in the first place"

The ladies kept gossiping about her but I wasn't really in the mood to gossip so I had to stop them.

"Ladies,please.We don't know what the poor girl went through that she had to run away,and even worse she got caught in a trap and is injured.Her condition is bad enough as it is"

"Oh you're majesty,you're just too kind hearted."

"That's right you are so wise your majesty."

They kept praising me for being 'nice' and how lucky they are that I'm such a good Empress.

I do feel bad about the slavery system but the reason and procedures behind it is so complicated that it's not gonna be easy to lift it.It was a system made to punish people who committed terrible crimes so its no easy task to reason with the system.

"Your majesty,we will take our leave now"

I nodded at them and went back to my book.

I smirked.

To think this is supposed to be the moment where Navier is talking to Countess Eliza about how hurt she is about what that dipshit did and how heartbroken she is.

Well he is a walking dissapointment so it's understandable but I was upset on how hurt she was.I guess I felt bad for her but that wasn't her fault,everything was that jackass fault and all the blame should be put on him as it should be.

Just thinking about him gives me a headache.

I should focus on adapting to this new world and do my best to fulfill my empress's duties while I'm in her body.I won't dissapoint her and change her life for the better.

*
*
*

It was the day all the officials and I gathered in the conference room to discuss the preparations for the upcoming New Year.

After the meeting,I took a walk in the central palace garden to relax. Artina, the deputy commander of the knights, accompanied me, along with my ladies-in-waiting.As I discussed with Artina about whom to recommend for the ceremony, I heard a whisper from somewhere saying, “Is that her?”

I knew who it was so I didn't bother looking around.

"H-hey!"

I ignored her and kept walking my way.I heard the sound of a wheelchair moving forward and so I signaled Artina to keep her away.