Félix and Agustín shared a knowing look. They knew that Alma didn't enjoy Cassidy being in love with Bruno, and was only putting up with it because she saw how Cassidy helped Bruno deal with his fear and nervousness. But, they knew that Cassidy was more than that to Bruno. They were meant to be together. They were in love.

"We'll talk to your mother, Bruno." Agustín said. "But, I promise you, there's nothing to be afraid of. When I proposed to Julieta I was scared, but it turned out okay. This will turn out okay, too."

Félix nodded. "And, we'll help you with whatever you need, bro."

Bruno managed to calm down a bit at the words, but he still looked at the box in his hand worriedly.

"I just really want to marry her. I can't...I can't lose her."

"I'm sure she feels the same way." Agustín replied, getting to his feet. Félix followed suit, and he gestured to the box.

"Do you think she'll like that one?"

Bruno stiffened. "I...I think so?"

Agustín patted him on the back, leading him to the door. "She'll love it. And, Bruno, hold tight until we can talk to Alma. We won't tell a soul."

" It's just so...scary, you know?"

Félix grinned. "We know. We've lived through it, but we'll be here every step of the way. Every victory, or every defeat."

Bruno didn't need to voice his gratitude, his beaming smile was enough.

---------------------------------------

"No."

Agustín crossed his hands, trying to show the older woman, his now mother-in-law, that he wasn't backing down.

"It's been years. They love each other, why wouldn't you let them get married?"

Alma turned to the window of her room, pressing her hands tightly against the windowsill where the candle sat.

"Must I give reasons? I'm his mother, Agustín, and I don't think it's a good idea."

"But why? She makes him happy, and it's only fair that they get to be together."

"She is not fit to be a mother, she doesn't have much to contribute, and she doesn't belong among us."

"I don't have a gift. Félix doesn't have a gift. Yet, you let us marry your daughters." Agustín argued. "Why did you do that?"

Alma sighed, turning back to him. "You and Félix had something to offer. She doesn't. And, I told Bruno that they could be together, but I didn't promise that they could get married."

Félix, who had let Agustín do the talking, spoke up.

"Bruno really wants this. He really loves her, anyone can see that. Would you just think about it?"

"Fine. I'll consider it."

The two men left the room, and made their way to the kitchen, Félix's usually bright attitude diminished.

"What should we tell him? If they can't get married..."

Agustín nodded. "I know. But, there's not much we can do now." He waited a minute before speaking up again. "Was I too harsh, Félix?"

Félix shook his head. "Nah, man, you weren't. She just refuses to listen."

"Who refuses to listen?"

Julieta looked in their direction with a smile, her hair up in a messy bun. She was holding a pan of baked goods in her hands, the smells wafting through the room.