One

Evie's POV:

I watch her. I watch her turn a page in her hardcover book, her emerald green eyes focused, concentrated. I watch her flick her dazzling purple hair behind her shoulders, shift her weight in her bed. I watch her every, tiny move. I want her.

I slowly rise from my own bed and click my heels over to hers, then stand innocently beside her in silence. "Hello, Evie," She says solemnly, turning another page in her book without looking up. "How can I help you?"

She already knows how, for I do this every day, she just enjoys teasing me. I giggle and look at the floor, then back up at her. "I just wanted to see what your book is about."

"It is about dragons."

"I love dragons."

"Mmm hmm," Mal replies simply, still not looking up. "Do you have a question for me?"

"Mal!" I whine.

"Well, do you?" She asks smugly. She already knows it, she just wants to hear me say it.

I cross one of my boots over the other and fiddle with the hem of my skirt. "Can we cuddle?" I mumble.

"Sorry what was that?" Mal asks, putting her hand to her ear.

"Can we cuddle?" I say louder, in a frustrated tone.

She laughs and finally gives me eye contact. "You're so cute when you're mad. Come here angel," She says, and shifts over so that I can climb into the bed. I sit down with her and drape my arms around her shoulders happily, letting her grab my hand and continue to read.

"Wanna read with me?" Mal asks.

"Sure, read it out loud."

"Why? Can't read the words yourself?" Mal chuckles.

"Yes, but your voice is pretty."

She rewards me with a kiss on my cheek and begins to read the words to me. I don't really care about the book, or what she's reading to me at all, so long as I get to hear her soothing voice. It's like music to my ears.

By the end of the first chapter, she's decided it's my turn to read to her, and has taken an interest in laying us both down and wrapping her arms around my waist, spoiling me with kisses to my skin as I read aloud to us.

"The dragon flew south for the..."

I have to stop reading, giggling as I receive yet another kiss. "The dragon flew..." Mal interrupts me with a kiss yet again, and this time I break out into a fit of giggles. I drop the book and roll over to peck her jawline, smiling into the kiss. I take her in my warm arms and we sprawl out across the pillows, laying down as we embrace each other in a cozy and tight hug.

"I love you, Mal," I mumble into her shoulder.

"I love you, Evie," She tells me.

She gently strokes my hair as I say, "Promise me we will never leave each other?"

"Promise," She says, and I can practically feel her smiling from over my shoulder.

"I love you, Mal."

"I love you, Evie."

I pull away from the hug so that I can nestle myself into her chest, and she hooks her arm under my waist, then connects our hands together. "Does that mean that we can lay together all day?" I ask.

She laughs. "I wish, but we have friends and my husband coming over later. For the sleepover party, remember?"

Husband. She has no idea the hatred I feel for that word, especially coming from her mouth. It's unkind to say, but sometimes I really hate Ben. Like really REALLY hate him. I honestly found him pretty nice when we first arrived in Auradon, that is, before he started dating Mal for real. We were supposed to just make a dumb love potion, it wasn't supposed to turn into...real love! How does that even happen? I was distraught when I found out they ACTUALLY liked each other. Mal's always been mine. MY best friend. MY everything. MY...my crush. I've liked her since day one and never stopped. And I know that we will never, ever be together, which is already heart breaking, but her having a husband is just the cherry on the top. I mean, I had a boyfriend for a while, Doug, but if I'm being honest I only really started dating him to get my mind off of Mal. It didn't even work, and we broke up anyway. I always have to pretend to be sad whenever our breakup is brought up, because I really don't care that we're not in a relationship anymore. It feels mean to say this, but I never truly loved him. I love Mal, and Mal only.