Chapter Eleven

Atticus was overcome as he and Sidney would hug in an embrace. Phoenix had now picked his way further into the jungle, losing his prey as a rush of annoyance had come over him.

"Sidney," Atticus panted in disbelief. "Where have you been?!"

Sidney looked at Atticus as this seemingly underground and hidden area was small but spacious in width, and went just over their heads. Atticus sat with his legs out as Sidney kept his matching Atticus.'

"I've been in hiding for ages now, Atticus. I'm not taking part in this war, I don't want any involvement. That's not who I am! You know that."

Sidney explained.

"How long have you been hiding for?"

"A long time. I split away from everybody when they came to the lagoon to talk about Tommy going hunting. You know all of those clothes we kept underneath the platform on the beach?"

Atticus nodded.

"I took Kiwi's jumper. Only because it get's cold in the night. Obviously not too cold, you know that. But there is the occasional breeze."

He explained. It seemed as though he was trying to make humour, but Atticus couldn't tell and was too far gone in this island's events to catch on. Atticus was shaking his head, begging for the help of Sidney.

"People are dead, Sid. They're gone."

Atticus solemnly.

"Who's left?"

Sidney looked at Atticus, whilst the latter kept his head looking down at his thighs.

"Me, Tommy and Phoenix. Does he know you've gone?"

Atticus pondered at Sidney.

He shrugged.

"You've not seen him?"

Atticus frowned.

"Nope."

Sidney shrugged with a small smile.

"D'you want to?" Atticus asked in a frowned confusion.

"Dunno," sighed Sidney as he thought. "Don't think you organising it through him would be the best plan."

Sidney joked. Both smirked as they looked down at the muggy underneath area under this bump.

"How come you helped me?"

"You're my friend, aren't you?"

Sidney tried to grin.

"Yeah, of course. But him."

"He obviously knows I'm friends with you. I can be friends with whoever I want. He's friends with whoever he wants to be friends with, isn't he?"

Sidney opened the question.

Atticus looked at Sidney, nearly tearing up at his hiding friend as he spoke. "He doesn't have any friends, bar you." He shrugged.

Sidney looked at him and shrugged. "You were once his friend?"

Atticus didn't respond. There was a silence that took this underneath area, hiding from everything and every savage that this island had.

"I've seen some terrible things, Atticus. Did you see the head?"

Atticus nodded only slightly, however was taken back and contemplating how Sidney would know about the monkey also.

"I saw Tommy. He killed the monkey or whatever that thing was, Atticus. I hid far in the bushes, but I could see him. I wanted to help him because he's my best friend. But I just froze, and eventually ran off into the bushes."