How it Ends

I relaxed in a nice hot bath after explaining what happened. Mom told the police I had returned on my own so they could assume that I was some uncontrollable teen who had a tantrum and ran away for a while. That was probably for the best. If I told them what really happened, they might've had me committed to an institution or something, though I did get the distinct feeling that a few of them would know exactly what I was talking about, even if they didn't want to admit it to anyone.

Mom was more patient with me and my desire to be alone, but honestly, I felt like I could handle a few people every now and then. I did fight off a bunch of weird monsters, after all, and what are crowds of people but a bunch of weird monsters. I even got a part time job working alongside Nes which made Mom very proud and excited. I told her not to get her hopes up, though. He's just someone else I can talk to because he believes me, though I spend most of my time with Hal and Lulu.

At night, as I lay in my bed with the windows open letting in some fresh night air, I could still feel something. I knew where they were, the monsters that lurk in closets and dark corners. They were in far more houses than anyone thought possible. They're always listening. Always ready to take someone away from it all and give them a new life... or maybe just have a snack, but they still obeyed.