Meeting Fate Face to Face

Start from the beginning

Then a morbid thought crossed your brain. What you would look like as a corpse? And what plot your body would find rest in?

"My Lady, guests are coming down the drive." Mrs. Canters informed your mother.

"Well then we shouldn't dally then- Contessina, Millicent, Gwendolyn, it's time. Remember, head up, shoulders back, think tall and walk like a swan swims on the water, effortlessly smooth." Your mother urged you and your sisters before you queued up behind her before and got into position as you reached back to Milli to squeeze her hand reassuringly as she squeezed back tightly before your mother sauntered through the house with you, Millie and Gwen walking behind her in a straight line before you united with your father and brothers at the receiving line to receive your family's guests.

Then the big moment came and you quickly traded places with Gwendolyn and Milli so that you were at the end of the line and hopefully out of enough sight that Young Count Lavine wouldn't notice you. The worst that could happen, in your opinion, was that he would take one look at you all grown up and think you were a greater beauty than your younger sister and want to switch back.

Then Count and Countess Lavine came in and Young Count Roncharles Lavine practically froze in place as he almost stopped breathing as he watched your sister Milli curtsy low in greeting him as everything about her glittered, glowed and sparkled and caught his eye, practically hypnotizing him.

"Count and Countess Lavine, this is our daughter Duchess Millicentuza Rolfigne DeBaringer," Your mother introduced, using Milli's whole name as Milli gently dipped her head before lifting her gaze to lock with Young Count Roncharles Lavine, who was staring at her in awed wonder and had to be elbowed by his father to finally react.

"Yes, such a pleasure to see you, I mean meet you, at last Duchess DeBaringer." He fumbled before he practically leapt forward to claim her hand to kiss her knuckles without breaking eye contact which caused her to giggle behind her fan which was tailored to match the dress perfectly.

"If I may be so bold as to claim the first two dances tonight." He offered.

"You may." Milli answered sweetly.

"Perhaps you should show our guests to the ballroom and to the refreshments." Your mother prodded Milli.

"It would be my honor if you would accompany me Duchess DeBaringer." Roncharles emplored Milli.

"Of course." She readily agreed and took his offered arm before she was escorted away as Roncharles practically ignored everyone else in the room, including you. Much to everyone's relief as you could see and feel your family and his own blow out a silent breath of relief that Roncharles was practically enraptured with Milli immediately as your father and his both exchanged a knowing and victorious grin.

"Are you quite recovered Duchess Contessina DeBaringer?" His mother paused before she and her husband passed you. Countess Lavine had actually been the one to exchange letters with you most of your teenage years. Trying to get on the best terms she could with her expected daughter in law. And when you had gotten a letter from her asking about the "accident" you had to go to your father to know everything he had said so that your story would match his and the doctor's new "report". But she had wanted to stay close and stay friends even after the switch. You tried to telling her all about Milli so that she would not be surprised about her, and could adjust to Milli being her new daughter in law. And build up a good rapport with her as well as Milli and her had exchanged letters with great success and also got along quite well from the start.

"As recovered as I'll probably ever be Countess Lavine, thank you so much for asking, please, enjoy the ball tonight." You answered demurely. Not wanting to make any conversation awkward as she simply smiled appreciatively and a bit bittersweetly and nodded at you and walked on with her husband.